ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on www.theconferenceforum.co.uk

The Conference Forum

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Fao tCDEP by Bella from BarraToday 07:48Today at 07:48:50view thread

Oldest article: 12 Weeks, that's all we have left by Spiggy4/6 15:35Mon Jun 4 15:35:15 2018view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: So who got the beds? by Meerkat12/6 18:17Tue Jun 12 18:17:58 2018view thread

Not announcing signings

By SamBee12/6 10:32Tue Jun 12 10:32:03 2018

Views: 1003

So, I know you're all involved in the inner mechanisms of your respective honourable non-league football clubs, so as a relative newcomer to the world of semi-professional football, answer me this.

We've supposedly (i.e. rumours invented by those pretending to be in the know as they once met someone who knows someone whose dog coached the neighbour of) signed already:

Callum Reynolds (Aldershot)
Mark Cousins (D&R)
Luke Howell (D&R)
Jake Howells (D&R)
Rhys Murrell-Williamson (St Albans)

All are free agents so no fee, but the signings have not been announced despite being 'in the bag' for a while. The reasoning being is
a) non-league contracts run until 30th June, so announcing before then is breach of contract with existing club
b) non-league contracts run until 30th June, so want to ensure existing club pays their last month salary so we don't have to
c) our bloke in charge of announcing things is on holidays / lazy / rubbish

It's just everybody bloody else seems capable of announcing signings, hell, Chesterfield even signed 2 of ours who would I presume have been under contract.

Yes, i'm fully expecting all of the above players to sign for Borehamwood / Woking, but what's the valid reasoning for not announcing signings if you have made them?

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Not announcing signings

By Ladderman (Mentle Fishpond)12/6 16:59Tue Jun 12 16:59:17 2018In response to Not announcing signingsTop of thread

Views: 309

Non league contracts do not end on 30th June. Some might, plenty end on April 30 with an extension if the team reaches the playoffs. Fattie at Braintree tried to rip off his players when they reached the playoffs by claiming he hadn't agreed to pay them for the extra week

By C**t faced Jason from Devon (Paulio)12/6 11:04Tue Jun 12 11:04:02 2018In response to Not announcing signingsTop of thread

Views: 846

It’s A. That’s what we used to do.

By Meerkat12/6 11:00Tue Jun 12 11:00:43 2018In response to Not announcing signingsTop of thread

Views: 832

Might be that it is all verbal/email but they haven’t come in and signed on the dotted line.

By Seagie12/6 10:54Tue Jun 12 10:54:06 2018In response to Not announcing signingsTop of thread

Views: 852

b) is often trotted out at our place as an excuse for us not signing anyone early these days.

By White Socks (SKRAWA!) (White Socks)12/6 10:47Tue Jun 12 10:47:56 2018In response to Not announcing signingsTop of thread

Views: 870

Pleased to see that the D & R fire sale is continuing and they are at least attempting to cut their cloth accordingly.

By TomMc (D&R)12/6 11:35Tue Jun 12 11:35:07 2018In response to Re: Not announcing signingsTop of thread

Views: 785

Old news, these players were released weeks ago before the begging announcement.

By White Socks (SKRAWA!) (White Socks)12/6 12:26Tue Jun 12 12:26:12 2018In response to Re: Not announcing signingsTop of thread

Views: 706

I take it back then.....beggars will not be choosers!

By SamBee12/6 11:50Tue Jun 12 11:50:42 2018In response to Re: Not announcing signingsTop of thread

Views: 759

It's not a case of old news, all these daggers players have announced they are not resigning with you, but havn't announced new deals with any other club.

They will be contracted to you until the end of June. If they announce they have signed for us, you may claim poverty and try and not pay their June salary, which could save you over £10,000 (assuming they are all on £800 a week).

If they havn't announced they have signed anywhere, you have to pay them their June salary.

By TomMc (D&R)12/6 13:33Tue Jun 12 13:33:34 2018In response to Re: Not announcing signingsTop of thread

Views: 566

I wasn't suggesting your info was "old news", it's old news in terms of WhiteSock's comment about "cutting cloth accordingly" (i.e. suggesting we'd only just decided these players would be moving on after the begging bowl was being thrown around, when that wasn't the case, we announced ages ago they wouldn't be signing new contracts).

Your points about June salaries are valid, but not in the context of what I replied to in the thread.

By Lenny Baryea (MUFC)12/6 10:42Tue Jun 12 10:42:18 2018In response to Not announcing signingsTop of thread

Views: 889

what's the valid reasoning for not announcing signings if you have made them?

Good question; one which I asked an ITK at our club recently. I’m not sure that I got an answer, or at least one that made sense.

It’s been said for some time that we’ve signed a striker who played for another National League club last season but, for one reason another, it couldn’t be officially announced. Open secret who it is. Apparently there was going to be an announcement yesterday on Twitter, but it was pushed back to today …

/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44452660

Edited by Lenny Baryea (MUFC) at 10:55:47 on 12th June 2018

By SamBee12/6 11:13Tue Jun 12 11:13:38 2018In response to Re: Not announcing signingsTop of thread

Views: 806

Ah, ok, so it's not just us then.

By stillmanjunior12/6 11:18Tue Jun 12 11:18:33 2018In response to Re: Not announcing signingsTop of thread

Views: 799

We have a few friendlies against Football League XI’s so I’m guessing there will be a selection of ‘Trialist’ as players. Why the anonymity?...

By Seagie12/6 11:29Tue Jun 12 11:29:58 2018In response to Re: Not announcing signingsTop of thread

Views: 775

So that other clubs don't see you've got a player on trial and then steal them off you.

By stillmanjunior12/6 11:54Tue Jun 12 11:54:25 2018In response to Re: Not announcing signingsTop of thread

Views: 752

Surely in this day and age it’s easy to spread word of the trialist anyway?

By Leeds Sandgrounder12/6 15:05Tue Jun 12 15:05:01 2018In response to Re: Not announcing signingsTop of thread

Views: 407

Especially as even your average Evo-Stik reserve goalkeeper seems to have some parasite calling themselves a football agent touting them to all and sundry anyway.

By Seagie12/6 12:36Tue Jun 12 12:36:05 2018In response to Re: Not announcing signingsTop of thread

Views: 687

Our lot still treat identities of trialists / transfer targets with Gulag levels of secrecy.

We played a friendly at Bamber Bridge a couple of years who where they named every single one of our trialists in it and the club were absolutely furious.

By Lord M.Ox (Marked Ox)12/6 12:33Tue Jun 12 12:33:01 2018In response to Re: Not announcing signingsTop of thread

Views: 692

Just look at a club's forum or Twitter and that will say within minutes of kick off generally anyway.

By stillmanjunior12/6 15:26Tue Jun 12 15:26:02 2018In response to Re: Not announcing signingsTop of thread

Views: 372

Exactly, hence why I don’t understand the lack of them being mentioned on a teamsheet.

This is the view of a commentator/announcer anyway. Friendlies are horrific for identification purposes.

By gertcha12/6 13:01Tue Jun 12 13:01:28 2018In response to Re: Not announcing signingsTop of thread

Views: 655

Rhys Murrell-Williamson wasn't on a contract (his agent saw to that)

When he arrived we were ridiculed a bit as he'd been a flop at a few clubs before that, however Ian Allinson did what he did best and made him into a decent player
He was unplayable against in the first few months of the season but was anonymous from about Feb onwards (when we needed him the most)
He ended up in the Conf South team of the year however

By Taz (SUFC)12/6 13:27Tue Jun 12 13:27:26 2018In response to Re: Not announcing signingsTop of thread

Views: 591

Late bloomer was Rhys. Started with us several years ago and had ability, just needed game time and to fill out a bit from the weedy 18 year old he was at the time.

Previous thread: Today's cricket thread by Greek Card12/6 12:04Tue Jun 12 12:04:11 2018view thread