ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on www.theconferenceforum.co.uk

The Conference Forum

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Just get on with it... by Nigel LToday 00:21Today at 00:21:59view thread

Oldest article: Chorley by Kingfield Ender20/11 20:31Tue Nov 20 20:31:37 2018view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Popmaster by slack7/12 13:31Fri Dec 7 13:31:18 2018view thread

Second referendum, choices on the paper

By uptheshots29/11 21:04Thu Nov 29 21:04:06 2018

Views: 1149

Surely there could/should (?!) be just 2:

Brexit with the current negotiated deal
Brexit with no deal

Not sure I have seen that mentioned a lot, everyone seems to think/assume that no brexit would be on the ballet paper.

Surely from a gammon/"supporter of democracy" point of view we've voted for brexit, now we have a vote for which type of brexit. Job jobbed

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Second referendum, choices on the paper

By Differentiabull30/11 13:59Fri Nov 30 13:59:33 2018In response to Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 717

The deal was arranged by politicians, and will probably be voted down by politicians. If that's happened, then surely it's dead.

If we have to go back to the people, then surely the only options on the table are retain existing EU terms* or No Deal.

* 'Remain' has a level of toxicity to it, I dobut that would go on the ballot paper.

By Tris (Trisimp)30/11 10:08Fri Nov 30 10:08:50 2018In response to Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 852

We already voted for a no deal Brexit

By uptheshots30/11 22:55Fri Nov 30 22:55:18 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 634

tell me you are trolling

By Tris (Trisimp)1/12 19:43Sat Dec 1 19:43:07 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 608

Why?

The vote was to leave everything connected with the EU

By Lord M.Ox (Marked Ox)1/12 20:31Sat Dec 1 20:31:32 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 559

I suggest you look at the question that was asked again.

By Tris (Trisimp)1/12 21:35Sat Dec 1 21:35:06 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 524

Don’t need to

The vote was to get out of the EU and all it’s mechanisms

By uptheshots1/12 22:41Sat Dec 1 22:41:14 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 526

No. Read very carefully

https://medium.com/@WhiteWednesday/eu-referendum-read-the-question-77507535f3f0

Blimey, no offence, but you are not countering the stat about leave voters being mostly poorly educated

By Tris (Trisimp)1/12 23:20Sat Dec 1 23:20:37 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 507

What about the Government leaflet that explained what leaving meant

Maybe you weren’t bright enough to read it

It was a bit wordy

By uptheshots2/12 00:04Sun Dec 2 00:04:45 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 499

The gocernmentmeant said lots of things in2016 that turned out not to be the case

Go on then, what did it say?

By Tris (Trisimp)2/12 00:23Sun Dec 2 00:23:24 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 512

That the UK government would abide by the decision of the referendum

That leaving would mean leaving the EU and all it’s mechanisms

By NWS4/12 13:48Tue Dec 4 13:48:41 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 357

I presume you are referring to the leaflet that went out?

You do realise that prominent leave campaigners then rubbished this information and said we would not be leaving the single market. I'm a bit confused as to why you voted for something when you was only listening/reading stuff from the other side. What a strange way to vote.

Maybe you since chosen to ignore the leave propoganda because like so much of what was said by leave campaigners it has had to be reinvented (as the opposite to what was originally promised) to suit the ever evolving argument.

C'mon, Tris, just admit you were duped.

By Tris (Trisimp)5/12 20:09Wed Dec 5 20:09:10 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 275

Duped into what?

By NWS6/12 00:39Thu Dec 6 00:39:50 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 236

And they wonder why we say they're thick...

By Joe Hawkins6/12 07:19Thu Dec 6 07:19:06 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 203

Morning treacle :p

By uptheshots5/12 20:50Wed Dec 5 20:50:03 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 245

getting stupid ideas about brexit

By Tris (Trisimp)6/12 18:21Thu Dec 6 18:21:11 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 170

I don’t have any

I just want out

No hard,soft Brexit, no Canada +++ , no Norway style

No backstop

Just out like I and 17m people voted for

Anyone remember democracy?

By DesCartes6/12 18:30Thu Dec 6 18:30:26 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 171

Ah, one of those stereotypical Brexiteers who would...

...claim that they knew exactly what 'Leave' meant when they voted for it in the June 2016 referendum but...

...now just want 'Out' but dismiss all the Brexit options that may or may not be on the table (possibly because they're too difficult for the brain to process), preferring 'Out' but having no real clue what that means.

Define your 'Out'. Show your workings.

By Tris (Trisimp)6/12 19:33Thu Dec 6 19:33:11 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 159

My out is what the governments leaflet on Brexit said

Out of the EU and all it’s mechanisms

I know leavers are supposed to be stupid but it’s remainers that don’t get that.

Free trade deal and let Northern Ireland determine their own future

By roy from bungay (D Piddy)6/12 19:39Thu Dec 6 19:39:34 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 151

Why did you vote out? Can you explain three things that will get better from being out?

By Tris (Trisimp)6/12 19:41Thu Dec 6 19:41:21 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 160

Not being a member of the CAP
Not being a member of the ECJ
Not being a member of the EU

Edited by Trisimp at 19:41:32 on 6th December 2018

By DesCartes6/12 19:49Thu Dec 6 19:49:50 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 153

That's three things that might happen.

But in what way exactly do they, or anything else associated with 'Out', make your life better.

For example, name a specific EU law agreed by the group of 28 countries represented in Brussels without which our lives would be better. Show your workings.

By Baldman7/12 00:44Fri Dec 7 00:44:56 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 116

Ooooh I know. The abandonment of any controls over labour markets allowing millions of semi and unskilled workers in to enrich the owners of the means of production while impoverishing workers. Does that count?

By DesCartes7/12 10:52Fri Dec 7 10:52:43 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 101

Where I said 'name a specific EU law agreed by the group of 28 countries' I did not view that as including the question of Freedom of Movement (FoM), one of the core principles or tenets of the European Union, which we signed up to under the Maastricht Treaty.

The arguments against FoM are tempered by the fact that the successful function of the care (as mentioned by Sweepy) and other sectors is currently heavily dependent on workers from other EU countries. We should also not forget that removal of FoM is a double edged sword which similarly affects the ability of UK residents to work abroad or travel there for other business or pleasure reasons.

By Baldman7/12 12:07Fri Dec 7 12:07:53 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 90

Oh ok... you were referring to any law that has negatively affected some people in this country apart from the fundamental and most pervasive of the four freedoms that many think were at the root of the vote. Got it.

By DesCartes7/12 12:15Fri Dec 7 12:15:32 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 84

Right, now you've 'got it', do you have any examples?

By Baldman7/12 12:45Fri Dec 7 12:45:14 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 82

Ha ha ha. I’m not sure what good an example of an esoteric law would do when a fundamental problem does none in your mind.

But ok, I’ll have a go. EU emissions directive 1992 concentrated on CO2 and allowed diesels to emit vastly more NOx than comparable petrol engines. These emission standards led to a huge increase in diesel use (see here https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-42182497).

This has led to thousands of premature deaths across Europe and in the U.K.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.alphr.com/environment/1007053/pollution-diesel-cars-deaths-UK%3famp

By Sweepy7/12 10:38Fri Dec 7 10:38:51 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 100

Regardless of the any implications for the wages, surely you can see that the influx of EU labour to help our care sector has been beneficial? In this particular sector, it's scary to think what contracting the labour supply will do. I know your hypothesis is that wages will rise to increase supply (or at least offset) but can the care sector increase wages in this manner?

By Baldman7/12 12:05Fri Dec 7 12:05:48 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 83

The hypothetical question “what would have happened if there was no FoM” is very difficult to answer. No one can know.

Our care industry does rely on immigrant labour and any restriction of such labour will cause costs to rise and potential shortages. This is a function of the current situation which has largely been a result of Plentiful cheap immigrants. One of the reasons I am such an ardent Remainer is that the transition from an open labour market to a closed one will be painful. But just because the journey is hard doesn’t mean the destination is wrong.

And the counter argument is that having control over immigration doesn’t mean no immigrants. If we need immigrants for the Care system, we should let them in.

By roy from bungay (D Piddy)6/12 19:49Thu Dec 6 19:49:20 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 147

Can you provide three examples of how your life will improve as a result?

By Tris (Trisimp)6/12 19:53Thu Dec 6 19:53:08 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 148

Restricted movement of low skilled labour

Not paying billions of pounds to the EU

Not being overseen by the ECJ

By roy from bungay (D Piddy)6/12 20:03Thu Dec 6 20:03:50 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 138

Thanks for the generic shit Boris. Anything that will actually affect you?

By Tris (Trisimp)6/12 20:06Thu Dec 6 20:06:33 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

All 3 impacts me

Now on the flip side...

3 things the EU has done for you personally

By roy from bungay (D Piddy)6/12 20:16Thu Dec 6 20:16:59 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 136

The current trade agreements enable my company to build engines in the UK and export throughout Europe, whilst importing vehicles assembled elsewhere in Europe - so this enables me to pay my mortgage as we just about make a profit.

After years of dealing with some lazy/unreliable plumbers, our current provider (Lucas) wouldn’t have been welcome here without the rights of the EU. He’s better (whilst not cheaper) than his predecessors.

Several of my friends and colleagues wouldn’t have been able to come here to work without the current arrangement. They’ve been aching had a positive impact on mine and my family’s lives.

By Tris (Trisimp)6/12 20:52Thu Dec 6 20:52:32 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 136

As you know no different (we’ve always been in the EU whilst you’ve worked)

How do you know it would be worse not in the EU if we got a decent free trade deal

By Sweepy7/12 10:40Fri Dec 7 10:40:59 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 102

Any FTA will increase barriers to trade when compared to the Single Market (the deepest, most advanced FTA in the world).

Here is a thread about services (80% of our economy) and what changes to our trading relationship with the EU will mean.

https://twitter.com/SamuelMarcLowe/status/1070946806169780224

By Baldman7/12 12:11Fri Dec 7 12:11:28 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 86

I do agree but I will put the counter argument... currently the majority of our trade is with non-EU countries and this trade is covered by EU tariffs and standards over which we have 1/28th influence.

By Sweepy7/12 14:03Fri Dec 7 14:03:52 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 75

Channelling your innerIEA I see!

1/28th... Hmmmm.

By Baldman7/12 14:26Fri Dec 7 14:26:44 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 65

They really are scum

By roy from bungay (D Piddy)6/12 21:02Thu Dec 6 21:02:54 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 127

Aside from the fact that the Brexit vote has fucked the pound and therefore my company’s profitability - the last 30 or so months have convinced me that the prospects of us having a better deal are exceptionally unlikely.

By Dave (Barra) (David (Barrovia))6/12 20:05Thu Dec 6 20:05:34 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 137

Restriction of low skilled labour will mean he gets to stay on fries

By Tris (Trisimp)6/12 20:06Thu Dec 6 20:06:50 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Correct

By Dave (Barra) (David (Barrovia))6/12 20:09Thu Dec 6 20:09:29 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 132

Only joshing of course Tris, I know London’s education system would collapse without you m8

By Tara (ProgressiveTara)5/12 21:01Wed Dec 5 21:01:48 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 235

He thinks a lot of things that haven’t happened happened so brexit delusion is neither here nor there

By uptheshots5/12 21:07Wed Dec 5 21:07:19 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 227

I think it you take the complete opposite of what the classic gammon leavers say you won't go far wrong:

So brexit = losing control, higher levels of illegal immigration, less money for the NHS etc etc

By uptheshots2/12 09:31Sun Dec 2 09:31:47 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 454

Well if you really believe that then you must believe the government has really let you down. I assume you will never vote Tory again?

By Tris (Trisimp)2/12 09:58Sun Dec 2 09:58:27 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 453

Never have voted Tory

What a lazy generalisation

By Tara (ProgressiveTara)4/12 13:51Tue Dec 4 13:51:15 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 340

http://www.theconferenceforum.co.uk/article/1273486

By uptheshots2/12 10:09Sun Dec 2 10:09:05 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 423

Just wondering why you believed what a political party said (one that you’ve never even voted for) over and above the wording that was actually on the ballot paper. Seems very naive

By NWS2/12 00:57Sun Dec 2 00:57:33 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 480

Er...this was robustly denied by several prominent leave campaigners. Given that you voted leave I presume you took more notice of them than the government. To now claim you believed the government makes you look a little less than truthful.

By Tris (Trisimp)1/12 23:18Sat Dec 1 23:18:09 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 498

Only stat that matters

52/48

Edited by Trisimp at 23:18:19 on 1st December 2018

By Feng Huang2/12 09:13Sun Dec 2 09:13:04 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 441

You're running scared because you know you won't get anywhere near that again now the masses & politicians know what Leave actually mean.

By NWS4/12 14:19Tue Dec 4 14:19:16 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 312

Yes...but cannot admit reality. They were duped and, in reality, they know they were duped. The Government are discussing what to do around potential food shortages, some firms are reporting problems attracting staff, other firms are reporting they will move if a no deal Brexit happens, medicines are potentially under threat. Still, they keep repeating the words of liars and more prominently but equally cluelessly duped people.

Try this from Theresa Villiers in 2016

"There is no reason why we have to change the border arrangements in the event of a Brexit because they have been broadly consistent in the 100 years since the creation of Ireland as a separate state"

She was secretary of state for Northern Ireland for four years yet seems oblivious to the 1998 Good Friday agreement. These are the people that leave voters follow.

By NWS30/11 15:14Fri Nov 30 15:14:45 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 677

https://quotebrexit.wordpress.com/2016/11/18/leave-campaigners-lets-stay-in-the-single-market/

By Sweepy30/11 13:45Fri Nov 30 13:45:26 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 707

Show me where No Deal Brexit was discussed before the referendum.

By Tara (ProgressiveTara)4/12 13:52Tue Dec 4 13:52:45 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 317

No deal Brexit was Project Fear.

Unsurprisingly, Project Fear is Project Reality.

By Slim Jim30/11 14:23Fri Nov 30 14:23:30 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 672

I'm not sure anything was properly discussed. The side with the best slogans and soundbites won. Leave promised the moon on a stick and shouted down any objections as Project Fear, whilst Remain offer little for what has the EU ever done for us. It's only now as reality dawns that sensible discussions have taken place.

By The Very Revd. Roy Summersby KC30/11 13:30Fri Nov 30 13:30:00 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 700

blimey

By DMN (DMN (Shit Forum))30/11 10:58Fri Nov 30 10:58:46 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 775

When did that second rederendum happen?

By NWS30/11 13:32Fri Nov 30 13:32:00 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 700

On the 32nd October. The vote happened in his head

By Yeoman30/11 00:02Fri Nov 30 00:02:41 2018In response to Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 883

The public have decided already. What is happening now is just implementation.

By Nigel L29/11 23:12Thu Nov 29 23:12:24 2018In response to Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 925

That's what is being angled for by St Theresa. The difficulty being that Brexit would then continue to consume our politics for many years to come while the new UK/EU trading agreement is negotiated. The deal would not be "the easiest in history" © Liam Fox. There would be at least one, probably two, general elections during this period.

Things would get very unpredictable. Maybe a realignment of our politics outside of the current two party system, or one of the major parties doing a volte face?

Steering a multinational is all about risk and reward, and, in some cases, being answerable to shareholders (if they show signs of kicking up about it). If considering an investment in the UK would you say "I'll go for it no matter which way it goes". Or invest elsewhere in an environment with less risk while the returns are more certain?

I can guess the answer to this one.

Edited by Nigel L at 23:15:51 on 29th November 2018

By Gary Bauress (SFC)29/11 21:22Thu Nov 29 21:22:07 2018In response to Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 965

Why would the deal be on the card if rejected by Parliament, if that is what the MPs are there for in the first place? By that logic, no deal Brexit is the only option available, with no referendum required.

Edited by Gary Bauress (SFC) at 21:22:16 on 29th November 2018

By uptheshots29/11 21:26Thu Nov 29 21:26:30 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 952

yup, fair point

By Ste B29/11 21:13Thu Nov 29 21:13:06 2018In response to Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 982

Not at all.

People should be allowed to choose to leave or remain now they know what leaving actually means.

By Tara (ProgressiveTara)4/12 13:54Tue Dec 4 13:54:38 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 323

What worries me is that people don't know what it means even now.

"Is it beyond the wit of man"
"Just get out and get on with it"
"The idea that all this will happen is like the millenium bug"

Loads of soundbites without so much as even made up figures to back it up.

Farage is the worst one. "Really, it is beyond the wit of man to sort this out"

Yes Nigel. It is.

By uptheshots4/12 21:54Tue Dec 4 21:54:16 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 278

he is just trying to sound impressive to right wing thickos

doubt he believes what he says

By chrismr29/11 23:41Thu Nov 29 23:41:31 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 892

Need 2 Questions.

1st Question - Same as last referendum leave or stay - Tick the box you prefer

2nd Question - only applies if majority choose to leave

Theresa May's Deal or No Deal - Tick the box you prefer

By NWS30/11 15:17Fri Nov 30 15:17:54 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 657

I disagree. All voters should get the opportunity to tick the second box. Even if you chose to remain you should still get the chance to say what kind of Brexit you opt for if it is to happen otherwise you could argue that remainers get the choice of choosing between the current arrangement or full on integration such as the Euro etc etc

By chrismr30/11 17:25Fri Nov 30 17:25:55 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 652

Agreed it is a vote everyone could put a choice on 2nd question. Didn't mean that only Brexiteers would answer 2nd question on ballot.

By Tris (Trisimp)1/12 23:47Sat Dec 1 23:47:05 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 500

Would we have had all this loser second referendum talk if remain had won?

No

By Tara (ProgressiveTara)4/12 13:55Tue Dec 4 13:55:48 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 325

Hell yes you would.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36306681

By Sweepy2/12 13:50Sun Dec 2 13:50:02 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 405

There certainly wouldn't have been this kind of loser talk had remain won:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6450635/Health-minister-ordered-stockpiling-BABY-MILK-Britain-crashes-EU.html

By NWS2/12 00:49Sun Dec 2 00:49:57 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 478

So when Nigel Farage suggested that a close run win for remain would not be the end of it that didn't suggest the polar opposite of what you say...ok.

By Tris (Trisimp)2/12 09:59Sun Dec 2 09:59:43 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 430

Personally

I would have

Can’t speak for Nigel

By NWS4/12 13:41Tue Dec 4 13:41:49 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 328

That wasn't the question you asked though was it. You asked if WE would have had all this talk if Remain had won. The answer is yes because Nigel Farage indicated so and I hate to tell you but Nigel Farage was one of the main faces of the campaign to leave. You are just someone on a football forum who is most famous (on here) for a brief argument with Ladderman. Your apology in this matter is thus accepted.

By Lord M.Ox (Marked Ox)1/12 23:50Sat Dec 1 23:50:37 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 476

Yes as Nige had already talked about it before the 1st referendum. JRM has mentioned something similar in Parliament as well.

By uptheshots1/12 23:57Sat Dec 1 23:57:16 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 485

A few gammons would have pipes up

There is 10 times, probably more, as many active on the remain side than leave

By NWS2/12 00:52Sun Dec 2 00:52:59 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 470

It just seems like that because we put valid points over rather than repeat endless slogans like a homogenous mass from a dystopian nightmare

Edited by NWS at 00:53:18 on 2nd December 2018

By Bullsgold30/11 00:04Fri Nov 30 00:04:50 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 876

That's not really going to make everyone happy, though.

If we're going to say that we could potentially have another two referendums, then you might as well have the first one simply asking "Do you want another referendum about EU exit?".

At least then we'd restore everything to factory settings.

Then I'd go something along the lines of what I said earlier: http://www.theconferenceforum.co.uk/article/1272610

The pro-EU guys have made many of the problems themselves. "The People's Vote"? What idiot came up with that term?

As Brexiteers quite rightly point out, the people did vote in 2016. What happens if a second referendum is a narrow victory for Remain? Best of 3 in another 2 years time?

The pro-EU guys should be talking about having an "informed vote", and they should be looking ways of getting one which doesn't come across as labelling Leave voters as 'non-people'.

Edited by Bullsgold at 00:06:24 on 30th November 2018

By chrismr30/11 06:56Fri Nov 30 06:56:43 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 816

Nothing is going to make people happy as country is split over stay or leave.
Brexiteers now believe this whole negotiation has been heading for second referendum for ages as political classes don't want to leave EU whether Tory or Labour most MP's would rather we stayed in EU. May will just say I tried my best but could not get Parliament's support and therefore I am going to pass the buck back to people. Whether the MP's get answer they mostly want though is a different matter.

By Bullsgold30/11 07:23Fri Nov 30 07:23:12 2018In response to Re: Second referendum, choices on the paperTop of thread

Views: 814

Yeah, God knows what's going to happen. Whatever it is, it's unlikely to be good.

Previous thread: Unfinished London by tigerroar5/12 20:27Wed Dec 5 20:27:39 2018view thread