ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on www.theconferenceforum.co.uk

The Conference Forum

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Reduce our Imports from France and Germany to … by Dave (Barra)Today 00:00Today at 00:00:44view thread

Oldest article: What will the Chinese find on Dark side of the moo… by interserie3/1 19:05Thu Jan 3 19:05:36 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: FAO BARNET SCUM by Polio11/1 12:42Fri Jan 11 12:42:16 2019view thread

Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long Read

By psg10/1 12:26Thu Jan 10 12:26:56 2019

Views: 1034

I listened to the podcast version of this:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/26/dulwich-hamlet-fc-champion-hill-improbable-tale-tiny-football-club-that-lost-its-home-to-developers-and-won-it-back

Like most Guardian long reads I enjoyed it and thought it was well put together.

HOWEVER

- why didn't they sell their best player (Allassani) when they had offers and were on the brink? Instead of selling him they got the buckets out.
- the fact they chose this option really changed my opinion. They basically won the playoffs with a team they couldn't afford. Then getting the begging bowls (even asking away fans!) at games to pay their wages stinks to me.
- I admire they way they have evolved as a club (jumping on the hipster bandwagon etc) but by Christ I find their nouveau fans so annoying.

TL;DR I ended up disliking a club I previously knew nowt about.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long Read

By Meadow11/1 01:05Fri Jan 11 01:05:56 2019In response to Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 484

I work deep in Dulwich territory. A number of my customers walk into the store wearing Dulwich scarves or kit. They're all thoroughly nice people. I live a stone's throw from Tooting and Mitcham's ground and there's been way more sound coming from there in the last few months.

I have no problem with Dulwich.

By BudaShot (NottShot)10/1 19:59Thu Jan 10 19:59:49 2019In response to Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 553

I like going to Dulwich.

No surprise most of you lot are taking the piss, but as a football fan in my early 20s I'd rather go to DHFC than shit like Purfleet or Boreham wood.

Nice range of beers on tap, oddball fans and they even let you nip to Sainsbury's at half time to stock up on cans. They play the market of what new fans want, and mixing it with non league culture. There's a reason their gates are rising, and the rest of us are dying on our arse.

But I'm happy to be a hipster wankstain and break away from the rest of the miserable gits.

By Shanghai11/1 09:03Fri Jan 11 09:03:22 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 434

My DISDAIN was for Whitehawk, not Dulwich. In my experience, Dulwich are just absolute freaks, but fairly harmless so let them crack on.

I utterly despise Whitehawk and alike who use football as a means to push their political agenda. Who goes to the football and thinks 'it is vital the opposition and wider league understand our stance on gay rights issues, get the rainbow flag boys, wave it and your willies with pride'. Save that shit for the local polytechnic common room. Non-league is about getting smashed with your pals and not giving a fuck about the result let alone fighting a cause.

By stillmanjunior11/1 11:42Fri Jan 11 11:42:16 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 350

Enjoying the dislike of Whitehawk. They were even more loathsome with King in charge. In truth, their media people were quite friendly with us when we visited but their fans were very odd. One bloke had a go when I jokingly pretended to kick a drum. Thankfully plummeting down the pyramid, I don't think they've won for months as swear they started quite brightly. Was terrifying at one point last season when they looked like they might pull off a Great Escape (they drew twice with us, gallingly) but they gave themselves a mountain steeper than their slope to climb.

By Taz (SUFC)11/1 21:11Fri Jan 11 21:11:21 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 218

We could have sent them down the season King first joined. Lead 3-1 at theirs until late on the last day, but then we took our foot off the gas as we were already in the PO's and drew 3-3. The point fucking kept them up.

Sorry.

Edited by taz (SUFC) at 21:14:47 on 11th January 2019

^^^^^^^^

By Kingfield Ender11/1 09:05Fri Jan 11 09:05:00 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 412

Very much this

Re: ^^^^^^^^

By Tara (ProgressiveTara)11/1 10:16Fri Jan 11 10:16:38 2019In response to ^^^^^^^^Top of thread

Views: 369

The massive rainbow flag at Tranmere did amuse me. No one anywhere near it. Said a lot about all that is bad about it.

By Tottenham Womble (MordenWomble)11/1 09:17Fri Jan 11 09:17:50 2019In response to ^^^^^^^^Top of thread

Views: 416

Whilst I might be a pinko lefty who agrees with many of said causes, I couldn't agree more.

Who goes to football to do politics? It's everywhere else at the moment so why ruin your Saturday with it, I don't want to know, nor care about the politics of the people who my Dad and I stand with, they are all just other people from South West London.

I was equally confused by the Clapton nutters who would spend all the time singing about Jeremy Corbyn and basically set off flares and act like hard-core anti fascists, yet on a Saturday would spend time boycotting the club and protesting against the chairman. Surely if you think you are hard-core anti fa then isn't there some EDL march you can go and ruck with rather than wasting a Saturday standing outside a ground in Forest Gate whilst Stansted Airport second XI were playing?

By ladderman (laddermaniseternal)11/1 21:43Fri Jan 11 21:43:04 2019In response to Re: ^^^^^^^^Top of thread

Views: 208

Stansted airport haven't got a team.
But apart from that, spot on.
I go to football to have a fee beers, see my mates (both of them), run people like _hil if the opportunity arises, abuse the ref/opposition goalie/defenders, set fire to Marlow fc,fall over occasionally.
I don't go to hear politics. But then I don't come on here to read about brexit, either.

By Baldman11/1 21:48Fri Jan 11 21:48:06 2019In response to Re: ^^^^^^^^Top of thread

Views: 206

No, you come on here to offer out those who are teaching our children.

By ladderman (laddermaniseternal)11/1 22:08Fri Jan 11 22:08:14 2019In response to Re: ^^^^^^^^Top of thread

Views: 206

Really? Tris' moment of glory was telling a kid to leave school. If that really happened.
I actually teach kids, get them through exams ect.
I'm the lesser of 2 cunts.

Edited by laddermaniseternal at 22:20:19 on 11th January 2019

By Chandampton (southampton)11/1 11:09Fri Jan 11 11:09:22 2019In response to Re: ^^^^^^^^Top of thread

Views: 339

Almost like they're a bunch of weak rich kids who don't want a fair fight.

By Shanghai11/1 10:14Fri Jan 11 10:14:38 2019In response to Re: ^^^^^^^^Top of thread

Views: 369

What i have found in life is that only around 15% of the population have normal social skills. Most are socially inept and behaviour like this is a prime example. No self-awareness of why it could be seen as ridiculous.

By Leeds Sandgrounder11/1 12:00Fri Jan 11 12:00:27 2019In response to Re: ^^^^^^^^Top of thread

Views: 314

If only 15% of the population have them how are they "normal"?

By Shanghai11/1 12:08Fri Jan 11 12:08:56 2019In response to Re: ^^^^^^^^Top of thread

Views: 307

I rest my case.

By Leeds Sandgrounder11/1 12:37Fri Jan 11 12:37:11 2019In response to Re: ^^^^^^^^Top of thread

Views: 290

The 15% are the socially inept ones for highlighting everyone else's horrendous social ineptitude. The nice thing to do would be to keep your disgusting confidence to yourself and let the rest of us not get on with it.

By Nigel L11/1 00:55Fri Jan 11 00:55:43 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 485

Agreed. Whatever the motivation of individuals, Dulwich are pulling in 3,000.

Barnet, Dagenham & Redbridge, Bromley and Sutton would love to have those gates, let alone the many other clubs in London that struggle to get 200.

Enfield are averaging 412, Hendon average 240 and Harrow Borough 174. All three were well supported clubs when the Isthmian League was king in the Home Counties.

By Taz (SUFC)11/1 21:42Fri Jan 11 21:42:35 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 214

Such great support that having moved a couple of miles down the road to Tooting they instantly shed half the fuckers, when just what they needed most of all was bodies through the gate.

By Pinner Stones12/1 10:07Sat Jan 12 10:07:16 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 122

They had a league gate as low as 386 at Tooting this season. I have client who has become a Hamlet fan; really being a Gooner. He goes for a beer really but his eldest boy seems to have caught the bug. My client is a typical Hamlet fan. A privately educated lefty and he’s a creative. A lovely bloke but just perfect for them.

He didn’t go to a game at Tooting bar ours this season. Too much of a palaver.

Edited by Pinner Stones at 10:10:24 on 12th January 2019

By uptheshots11/1 23:57Fri Jan 11 23:57:11 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 165

ahem 16 miles.

show me a non league team whose support has held up better than that when they've moved to a grounshare

By Meadow12/1 00:05Sat Jan 12 00:05:43 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Round trip. It's just over 8 miles one way.

By uptheshots12/1 00:21Sat Jan 12 00:21:27 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 164

true. not a couple of miles though.

and its not exactly a 10 minute job along the M3

By Meadow12/1 00:27Sat Jan 12 00:27:56 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 163

I do more or less that journey 5 days a week to and from work. It's at least a hour and a half round trip.

By uptheshots12/1 00:31Sat Jan 12 00:31:06 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

quite. hence taz's point about Dulwich's support holding up poorly when they moved the considerable distance away to tooting is invalid

can't think of any other traditional NL clubs whose support would have held up better

By BudaShot (NottShot)11/1 21:58Fri Jan 11 21:58:10 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 193

Had 1,400 when I went there the other week. Not bad I thought.

By Cardelia11/1 12:01Fri Jan 11 12:01:46 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 305

They're only getting 3000 at the moment because of the novelty of being back at Champion Hill. Plus it was Christmas. It'll drop off again in a few weeks time.

By BudaShot (NottShot)11/1 12:14Fri Jan 11 12:14:36 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 298

They'll still be one of the best supported and progressive football clubs in non league.

By Pinner Stones11/1 06:16Fri Jan 11 06:16:59 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 437

Harrow were NEVER, EVER, well supported.

By Carshalton womble11/1 16:36Fri Jan 11 16:36:49 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 245

Yes I can never remember them getting decent crowds, Hendon didn’t get a lot either

By SamBee10/1 17:40Thu Jan 10 17:40:38 2019In response to Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 653

"Inside the more palatial stadiums of the Premier League, there’s no chance Dulwich fans would get close enough to distract an away-team goalie the way they like to – by reading back to him, for 90 minutes, his old Facebook posts. Gutted you missed that parcel, mate."

Yeh, ok fairplay, that's quite novel.

By Rob (me gustan abrazos) (Alice Glass)11/1 23:02Fri Jan 11 23:02:11 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Ha, that's actually quite good.

By Leeds Sandgrounder10/1 12:59Thu Jan 10 12:59:18 2019In response to Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 852

I remember reading that and thinking that they were a load of absolute bellsniffs.

By Pol Pot10/1 12:33Thu Jan 10 12:33:34 2019In response to Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 874

WE'VE ALREADY WON THE MORAL VICTORY.

By Kingfield Ender10/1 12:35Thu Jan 10 12:35:00 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 877

Fucking Hipster pricks were moaning about being segregated at ours and that 'Kingfield seems a ground where only the result matters'

Lets hope they never get promoted

By Taz (SUFC)10/1 13:47Thu Jan 10 13:47:05 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 803

That "The result is immaterial" stuff makes me laugh.

Whitehawk are the same. "We're having more fun than you" they sang the last time we went there. I doubt it lads, I've had a day out on the gas in about 20 Brighton pubs and we're 2-0 up.

Just odd.

By Shanghai10/1 15:25Thu Jan 10 15:25:14 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 741

"We're having more fun than you" they sang the last time we went there.

hahahahahahahaha fucking hell. i bet their day consisted of getting up at 10am and playing football manager for 3 hours, before getting to the ground at 2.45pm, having a can of Indian pale Ale and then waving a flag for 90mins with other oddballs, then making a video blog and back in time to watch Sporting Gijon vs Merica on ElevenSports in their mums house, the fucking bellends.

By DesCartes10/1 17:45Thu Jan 10 17:45:12 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 625

Where do I find 'Thurrock FC: the improbable tale of a tiny football club that lost its home to developers – and won it back'?

By ladderman (laddermaniseternal)10/1 19:06Thu Jan 10 19:06:45 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 579

I think it's out of print.

"We let out club die" is on volume 427,though.

By Shanghai10/1 19:38Thu Jan 10 19:38:22 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 562

We mispelt the title of that one so it is now volume 428

By ladderman (laddermaniseternal)10/1 19:46Thu Jan 10 19:46:46 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 549

Are you lot at aveley now? I've lost track

By Shanghai10/1 19:53Thu Jan 10 19:53:36 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 541

We are nowhere, giving Hornchurch a whirl currently. By whirl I mean we attended one game.

By Shanghai10/1 18:02Thu Jan 10 18:02:29 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 613

You starting to forget where things are around the house? Bad sign. Go to the doctors.

By DesCartes10/1 18:19Thu Jan 10 18:19:58 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 588

I've been like that for many years. These days, I can't remember where the doctor is...

By Mr Stagger Lee AKA Bwooder.???????????????? (Mr Stagger Lee)10/1 17:36Thu Jan 10 17:36:09 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 632

I fuckin hated Whitehawk ..with their right on..fans ..shithole of a ground...financially doped to the eyeballs team..Well pleased to see them heading back to their natural level..the Sussex county league...

By Lenny Baryea (MUFC)10/1 17:46Thu Jan 10 17:46:01 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 618

I fuckin hated Whitehawk ..with their right on..fans ..shithole of a ground...financially doped to the eyeballs team..Well pleased to see them heading back to their natural level..the Sussex county league...

^^^ This. I’m heartened to see that they're hurtling back to the (actual) pub leagues. Is it true that their bubble burst when the owner/President got banged up for racially abusing a pregnant woman? Even better, if so; bearing in mind their insufferably-smug and right-on fans. Double standards as standard, as is often the case with political extremists.

By Mr Stagger Lee AKA Bwooder.???????????????? (Mr Stagger Lee)11/1 08:12Fri Jan 11 08:12:43 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 396

No idea..why they suddenly went into free fall...Whitehawk always reminded me of another truly dire shithole..The wood used to play around Brighton... Southwick now that was a dump!

By Pol Pot10/1 15:30Thu Jan 10 15:30:46 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 722

But they did all that while tackling patriarchal oppression and fighting other forms of social injustice.

By Kingfield Ender10/1 15:48Thu Jan 10 15:48:09 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 708

SJW twats

By Leeds Sandgrounder10/1 13:49Thu Jan 10 13:49:07 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 782

Self-satisfied "look at us" bellends.

By Kingfield Ender10/1 14:16Thu Jan 10 14:16:20 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 777

Just the latest in a long line of people who think supporting St Pauli 'is super cool'

Dulwich away is our last away game of the season. Beards, Quinoa, Real Ale and 'New Fan Culture' goes head to head with Stone Island, Burberry, Stella and Drugs

It wont be pretty

By Forever Stoned10/1 21:00Thu Jan 10 21:00:18 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 495

You can expect about a 1000 tickets if its an important game. Thats what we got given for the game where we won the league at their place.
Game was unsegregated and surprisingly went problem free. Dulwich were a real good bunch and because the bar was so packed they just told everyone to go next door to Sainsburys to buy their booze and bring it in.

People were bringing in crates of beer, bottles of whiskey and vodka and the stewards were fine with it. Was a real bizarre experience.

Edited by Forever Stoned at 21:00:42 on 10th January 2019

By Pinner Stones10/1 19:39Thu Jan 10 19:39:15 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 545

As you could well going for the title that day, that will be carnage and I’m not sure how they would cope. They’re don’t like to segregate there at all.

Strangely we have got on quite well with them, primarily as we once won a play off final there on penalties. At our game at Tooting this season, they claimed they hadn’t seen so much Stone Island before at one of their games; our yoof obviously made their mark. That said their begging bowl antics whilst still having a wage bill of over 8k was chutzpah of the highest order.

Hate much of their politics but you can’t but admire how they have grown their crowds , even if many there have little interest in the match itself.

Whitehawk on the other hand are c**ts of the highest order. They have no place in football and the quicker they go back to county football the better.

By Lord M.Ox (Marked Ox)10/1 14:18Thu Jan 10 14:18:22 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 762

Is the Stone Island part pavement dancers or those who actually get involved?

By Kingfield Ender10/1 14:29Thu Jan 10 14:29:33 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 762

Sadly they like to get very much amongst it. They even found something to fight about with Watford on sunday leading to 5 arrests

Wealdstone at home in two weeks might be a little lively

By Pinner Stones10/1 19:41Thu Jan 10 19:41:04 2019In response to Re: Dulwich Hamlet Guardian Long ReadTop of thread

Views: 542

Our youth have disappeared after we raised the entrance fees. Last seen at Harrow Borough causing trouble with Farnborough and Merthyr fans. Could well be lively if they reappear for Woking.

Previous thread: Another defeat for the Govt by Lord M.Ox11/1 13:56Fri Jan 11 13:56:34 2019view thread