ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on www.theconferenceforum.co.uk

The Conference Forum

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Doswell by gertchaToday 15:36Today at 15:36:56view thread

Oldest article: FNAT by Joe Hawkins5/4 22:21Fri Apr 5 22:21:12 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Things you've never done.... by Greek Card15/4 12:37Mon Apr 15 12:37:35 2019view thread

Weekend Review Thread

By stillmanjunior15/4 16:10Mon Apr 15 16:10:04 2019

Views: 274

Today: Last Creative Writing seminar. Thankfully ends at midday, means I only need to be in once a week after. Stay on after to try and finish another assignment. Need to put together tannoy music and notes later. And the radio show. Gah.

Wrote more of my CW thing after. Worked on my Donkey Kong 64 game review for another assignment. Honest. Finished prep for commentary, compiled tannoy music and made a radio show.

Tomorrow: St Albans, home. We ALWAYS beat St Albans at home, it's like a yearly tradition. They've only scored one goal in eight visits to our place. Think it'll be trickier this time. A 2-1, maybe. Really need a win. Not sure if I'm writing match report for Chronicle again, have covered for almost three months now. Hopefully not, need to do a bit of prep as commentating Sunday.

It was a tad trickier - we lost 3-0. Where did that come from? Three goals from about four attacks but we need about twenty openings to make one count. Flattered them but they defended well and gameplan worked to perfection. No wins in five. Eek. Not only did I have to do the Chron, also had to do programme pages for the Easter Monday game as our editor is on his hollybobs. Didn't finish all that until midnight.

Sunday: It's one of the Sunday cup finals at Twerton Park - Farrington Albion v Lansdown. I really don't care who wins, got a lot of mates on each team. I'm commentating, Palmer filming. Farrington to win 4-3 I'll go for. Should be a fun morning. Uni after, have made it my plan to finish my lit review for dissertation by end of day. Here's hoping.

Wasn't the goalfest, or outcome I predicted. Lansdown were terrific and won 2-1 despite missing a first half penalty. Should have won by more. Commentary was great as we had a laptop linked up so I could establish who was on the ball better when needed. Went to uni but largely worked on video game review, didn't look at dissertation. Still haven't but I've basically finished waffling on about DK.

HOPEWEWINSATURDAY/10
WISHFULTHINKING/10

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Weekend Review Thread

By Taz (SUFC)15/4 23:25Mon Apr 15 23:25:19 2019In response to Weekend Review ThreadTop of thread

Views: 157

Today - Work, but with a sort or POETS as we're moving offices over the weekend, so will effectively be fucking about doing not very much from 3pm before beers and pizza at the new drum from 4. Will prob stick around until about 5ish then sneak off home for Netflix or summat with TCMT.

We got booted out of the office at just before 2, so we went to the pub until 4. Then had pizza and beers. TCMT popped out to see a mate, so wandered home for about 8 instead.

Sat - Lie in, then off to GGL to witness us taught how to play the beautiful game by Orient. Purists of such high calibre that they make Woking look like a Tony Pulis outfit. Chuckle when they only turn up with 1200 having told us what an INVASION fixture it would be and us giving them 1500 tix. Chuckle further if we bundle 1-0 with a display of shithousery that'll make the 1-0 win at their gaff look like art. Couple of pints after, home for take out with the missus.

They failed to sell their allocation. Just over 1300 there. They were also fucking useless. We had one fit defender and they caused us no real problems until our keeper made two rather large ricks, one of which has been something of an internet meme today on twitter. Joy. So instead of losing 1-0 like they deserved to, they nicked it at the death. Have lost count of the games we've tossed from the 89th minute onwards this season.

Forgot it was end of season awards post match, so stuck around for beers and ended up going for a curry afterwards.

Sun - Change brake pads on the car ready for MoT next week.

Couldn't get one of the fuckers off, so will have another go tomorrow morning before I take it to the tester.

OFFICEMOVE/10

FUCKEDITAGAININTHELASTMINUTE/10

By Puds (Chuds)15/4 20:59Mon Apr 15 20:59:59 2019In response to Weekend Review ThreadTop of thread

Views: 170

Fri - work, curry. Was good.

Satdi - battered Carlisle 3-0. Enjoyable.

Sunday - studied.

Today - sat my latest AAT exam, 'Advanced Bookkeeping', as it is computer-based you get the result immediately. Got 100%!

Tomorrow - job interview. Then work.

Edited by Chuds at 21:00:35 on 15th April 2019

By Stillwell Myth (pcsu)15/4 17:24Mon Apr 15 17:24:28 2019In response to Weekend Review ThreadTop of thread

Views: 213

Today: Work
Saturday: Work
Sunday: Work

#weekendsareoverrated.

This, but with a bit of groundhopping and shagging chucked into the mix.

This. Went to Frickley Athletic, who played in the Alliance Premier once upon a time. Finished 2nd in 1985/86 season I believe. My 358th ground, and 53rd new one of the season. And what an absolute belter it is too. Corking old main stand. Nice hilly Yorkshire scenery on the opposite side.

Decent game against Tadcaster Albion, finished 1-3 to the visitors, who turned the game around after a decent scrap saw both teams reduced to 10.

The chicken curry and jockies was probably the best scran I've had this season too.

Decent 'hop all-round.

By Pinner Stones16/4 07:24Tue Apr 16 07:24:58 2019In response to Re: Weekend Review ThreadTop of thread

Views: 116

Suspect the slag heap isn’t the same at Frickley that it used to be when the mines were open.

Had a couple of great days out there in the Alliance, including once where someone lit a bonfire in foggy conditions to try and get the game called off. Ref wasn’t having anything to do with it especially as we were 2 up.

It was an interesting walk around the village, South Elmsall, as it was the height of the miners dispute and houses scrawled with scab on them was certainly a sight.

By stillmanjunior15/4 23:51Mon Apr 15 23:51:42 2019In response to Re: Weekend Review ThreadTop of thread

Views: 149

Just seen a pic of that side of the ground, looks quite Twerton Park-esque.

By Taz (SUFC)15/4 23:27Mon Apr 15 23:27:22 2019In response to Re: Weekend Review ThreadTop of thread

Views: 156

Nice hilly Yorkshire scenery on the opposite side.

Pretty sure they're slag heaps from the old local pit mate. :)

By Stillwell Myth (pcsu)16/4 10:00Tue Apr 16 10:00:26 2019In response to Re: Weekend Review ThreadTop of thread

Views: 92

Fake news. Just because they're from Yorkshire, it doesn't mean that they're slags.

By carrotcruncher(hfc)15/4 17:16Mon Apr 15 17:16:19 2019In response to Weekend Review ThreadTop of thread

Views: 201

Today: Work. Leave now in a minute. Visit LMCC in autism base in school. Hopefully sneak off to pub later.

Was good to meet all the teachers on the autism base, have to say they're all brill.

Snuck off to pub, TCMCC accompanied me for an hour or so too.

Tomorrow: Southport away. Not going, been often enough before and TCMCC has an evening out. Hopefully pop to Sophia Gardens to watch some cricket.

Only regret at missing our 1-0 defeat was not witnessing what sounded like a proper ballooned penalty. Saw about 2/3 of the day at Sophia, pitch far too flat, even Glamorgan's world class attack was blunted.

Sunday: Possibly more cricket, get ready for travelling to that London on Monday.

Due to over placid pitch and it was far too cold (Saturday was fine in the sun and out of the wind at the River Taff End) I didn't waste my time on the cricket which petered out into a predictable dull draw.

Spent a dull day tidying up, washing and shopping, kept an eye on two IPL games, Gurney bowled well until his last over.
Did watch MotD.

By Mr Nice (Forever Claret 83)15/4 16:54Mon Apr 15 16:54:39 2019In response to Weekend Review ThreadTop of thread

Views: 217

Friday - work then back to Chelmsford for a Quiz night fund raiser as a mate is running the London marathon soon. Might go for a curry after.

This. We only went and bloody won the quiz. A few beers were supped and I had a kebab on the way home in the end.

Saturday - Few chores in the morning and then head on up to the Gulag early for a pre-match meal in the directors bar. Our form has turned to rat shit so I expect Woking will bum us in the gob meaning I'll probably watch the game from the balcony rather than bother going behind the goal. Everyone is pissed off behind the goal at the moment anyway (various reasons) so its probably a good place to avoid. Nowt planned in the evening. Will probably have an early night as I need to get up early on Sunday.

Lovely pre-match grub following by a surprising win. It wasn't a great game. Neither side looked like a top 4 one. But, we were just a bit better on the day and won. I can't see either side winning the play offs but then everyone else in the play offs lost so fuck knows who will come out on top. Probably someone making a late run for it again like Braintree last season. Had an early night.

Sunday - train to Brighton to see my brother running a marathon. Enjoy some sea air, fish and chips and a few pints. Then home to chill out in the evening.

Was knackered so sacked this off, slept in and then watched the football and season 4 of Line of Duty.

Edited by Forever Claret 83 at 16:57:03 on 15th April 2019
Edited by Forever Claret 83 at 16:57:17 on 15th April 2019

By White Socks (SKRAWA!) (White Socks)15/4 16:34Mon Apr 15 16:34:01 2019In response to Weekend Review ThreadTop of thread

Views: 226

Today: Work and not much else.

That

Tomorrow: Badders. Jump on a train to Sluff which is the only National South ground I haven't been too. Our boys keep churning out the results - a win guarantees play offs, a draw keeps us in pole position for 3rd but I have a feeling we might come unstuck tomorrow on the plastic..?? Back home, kick cat, check bets etc...etc.. and probably a takeaway.

My sneaky feeling was correct. It had 0-0 written all over it but they sneaked in a deflected shot and we huffed ad puffed and couldn't blow their house down. We have nicked a few wins of late so not too despondent. Collected fish and chips on the way home, cat went into hiding and no bets came in.

Sunday: Youngest Socks has a top of the table double header on Sunday morning which could well decide the league title so will go and watch that and try desperately to bite my tongue throughout. Maybe catch some of the Super Sunday offerings and hope Chelski can dent the Cosps title campaign (although I very much doubt it)

Car battery died so later start than expected. Younger Socks team won first game 4-0 and second game 3-0 and have pretty much secured the league as a result. Didn't see much of the Super Sunday football on offer. Upset Fonzy.

PLAYOFFS/10
DESPITELOSINGWEACTUALLYQUALIFIEDFORTHEPLAYOFFSANYWAY/10

Edited by White Socks at 16:34:47 on 15th April 2019

By Joe Hawkins15/4 17:23Mon Apr 15 17:23:19 2019In response to Re: Weekend Review ThreadTop of thread

Views: 194

Today, a bit of work to finish windows wise, then another trip to B&Q, busy on the home front as I'm modernising and sitting in a draught, I've a whole sh*tload to do repair wise but I'm good with my hands so I'll manage, swimming this aft and a gym session early evening, door knocking for monies and home for a jam with a freind.

About that.

Saturday, quick trip to Wetherby for a 2nd hand Workmate, shoulders in the gym, try and hold onto my fingers with a router listening to City on't wireless, child for the night who needs a treat as parents evening said she's the fastest swimmer in her year and has been benificial demonstrating the correct strokes to the class and is expected to win her races at their gala I'm pleased at this news.

Bargain workmate, decent shoulder session but developing a back strain, Spoonies for the treat.

Sunday, car boot sale probably and a swim in the afternoon.

We went to the crem and to visit an uncle, no swimming but child stayed for the night again, load bearing stud frame in place ready for the boarding.

Productiveweekend/10

Previous thread: This Game of Thrones by Mr Staffordshire 15/4 09:25Mon Apr 15 09:25:04 2019view thread