ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on www.theconferenceforum.co.uk

The Conference Forum

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Burger King by Leeds SandgrounderToday 23:53Today at 23:53:37view thread

Oldest article: Management Phrase Of The Day by Pete 7 Oaks30/4 10:22Tue Apr 30 10:22:11 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Overreacting or not? by Mr Staffordshire Yesterday 16:27Yesterday at 16:27:59view thread

The Iraq War

By gertcha15/5 14:10Wed May 15 14:10:02 2019

Views: 698

Just come back from a holiday in Iraq (Kurdish part)

Saw some terrible scars of the Saddam Hussian era, the town of Halabja, where he dropped chemical weapons on his own people, met a survivor who was almost buried alive in a mass grave because they thought he was dead, he lost every single member of his family and was one of 4 out of 30 that survived whilst leaving on a truck

Went to the red prison in Sulaymaniyah, where Saddam killed and tortured 1000's of Kurds, some of the graffiti is still on the wall, met a guy there who happened to just be visiting and showing his children around, he managed to escape and ended up in Manchester of all places

My point is I was shocked at just how pleased they were that we invaded in 2003 and rid them of Saddam, I know he was particularly brutal against some sectors vs others but I hear the same stories from people that have visited Baghdad.
As someone who is anti-war etc it's really confused my opinion of this war which I was previously totally against and I question some of the UK media and their portrayal of the county since

reply to this article | return to the front page

The IRAN War

By DesCartes15/5 23:12Wed May 15 23:12:39 2019In response to The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 310

Coming up shortly.

Re: The Iraq War

By Tris (Trisimp)15/5 16:51Wed May 15 16:51:48 2019In response to The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 466

Reminds me of a bloke I used to work with who was Somalian

He went back for a holiday

Someone in the office said “ did you have a nice time”

He said “No it’s Somalia”

By Jawknee (Barnet Ben)15/5 14:31Wed May 15 14:31:37 2019In response to The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 591

What made you go there on holiday? Was it a guided tour? Can't say I'd feel safe doing that but must have been eye opening.

By Meerkat15/5 14:46Wed May 15 14:46:35 2019In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 565

Gertcha likes to go round the world supporting evil regimes (Kurdistan being a lesser one).
Sure I read that until the IS business no westerner had died or been taken hostage in the Kurd areas since the war, not even when the rest of the place was tearing itself apart

By gertcha15/5 14:40Wed May 15 14:40:32 2019In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 578

There is a tour company called Lupine Travel, they visit some of the more odd and less accessible places in the world, I try and jump on their tours as often as possible. Been to Iran, North Korea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Moldova and Transnistria in the past 18 months and are already booked on tours to Burundi, Rwanda and D R Congo later in the year

It's always fascinating to go to these places, where many tourists don't go and to also dispel our perceptions of these places and people
I can honesty say I never felt in danger once or not at ease, I've been more anxious going to some UK town centres at night that here

By BudaShot (NottShot)15/5 21:25Wed May 15 21:25:39 2019In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 338

Out of interest... How come you went with them for Moldova/Transnistria. Had a very bizarre moment on the transnistrian border but other than that surprised Lupine do tours there as its relatively 'normal'?

Very jealous of the rest of them. Looking for a big splash out trip next year to somewhere in Africa... Of that list which would be top to visit? I'm guessing you highly recommend lupine?

By gertcha17/5 16:13Fri May 17 16:13:16 2019In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 180

They only go to Transnistia for one of their parades - Victory Day or Independence Day so you can see the parades

I recommend Lupine lots, they are so cheap compared to others and I've been on 5 tours with them and never found a twat on the tour yet

I've done Sierra Leone and Liberia with them and am booked on the Burundi, Rwanda and DRC one in November
A lot of people have said Sudan is brilliant, I'm eying the March 2020 one

By Baldman17/5 16:47Fri May 17 16:47:27 2019In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 154

Isn’t this a bit ‘grief tourism?’

By gertchaYesterday 20:46Yesterday at 20:46:56In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 65

You visit some places with some horrible history but it's always interesting to visit these places and meet the people who lived it

By Carshalton womble17/5 16:23Fri May 17 16:23:10 2019In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 162

Probably best to avoid Iran at the mo, according to the paper they are preparing for war

By gertchaYesterday 20:52Yesterday at 20:52:35In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 62

There will be no war, America are positioning ships in an area that they know will provoke, not sure who they'd have a war with anyway, can't see them attacking Israel, they certainly wont attack the US and all the other countries around them have nothing for them, they aren't run by a mad dictator either like Iraq was so can't see them invading any of their neighbours

Glad I went in 2017 though, its more of a diplomatic war they'll fight hence the latest advise not to travel if you are a duel Iranain citizen

By MeerkatYesterday 21:08Yesterday at 21:08:38In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 53

Israel will attack a resumption of nuclear weapons programmes, Iran will attack shipping and turn Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Lebanon and Gaza into hell for the West and their friends.

By Carshalton womble15/5 21:51Wed May 15 21:51:00 2019In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 306

You might want to try Central African Republic, my friend was crossing the border there on the back of a truck and all the locals make a grab for your bags so they give you a pitchfork to keep them off, sounds fabulous

By SamBee15/5 15:03Wed May 15 15:03:30 2019In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 531

Genuine question - have a 'friend' going to North Korea, struggling to get travel insurance as the FO advise against travel.

Did you use Lupine's own, or do you have an insurance company you can recommend?

By gertcha15/5 18:38Wed May 15 18:38:26 2019In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 395

I actually didn't have any when I went because I thought my worldwide one covered it as it's only a country that the FO advise against all but essential travel (for some reason, it's as safe as you can get) and not all travel

I used this lot for my Iraq trip
https://www.firstalliedtravelinsurance.com/

But they don't seem to do NK

By cufc infinity (cufc_infinity)15/5 14:23Wed May 15 14:23:09 2019In response to The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 592

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose and all that

Beardy-Weirdies kept bringing up the sinking of the Belgrano for ages, you know the type, against everything western, huzzah for communism, leader of the labour party etc... and always ignored the fact the slap the Argentinians got in the falklands war brought down their military dictatorship the same year and they've been a democracy ever since. A basket case sometimes, but a democracy nevertheless. People died but it freed a country of 40 million.

By Heartthrob of the mortuary (99% is shit)15/5 14:15Wed May 15 14:15:31 2019In response to The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 611

I understand that your post is emotional, but, using a consistent approach across the world, we would end up instigating regime change in scores of countries.

By Shanghai15/5 14:57Wed May 15 14:57:01 2019In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 549

I would support this, i am very much in favour of countries acting as world police. Without a swift kick to the bollocks, dictators and evil regimes are allowed to get away with being belltards. It is better to go to 'war' 10 times to remove existing belltards and as a show of force than appeasing them and watch more appear.

By Chandampton (southampton)15/5 19:38Wed May 15 19:38:58 2019In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 350

Sounds like a job for the European Union army.

By Shanghai15/5 19:59Wed May 15 19:59:00 2019In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 334

Or my much heralded Commonwealth army. I might repost my commonwealth army proposal on here soon. A flawless concept

By Bullsgold15/5 15:10Wed May 15 15:10:37 2019In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 517

I guess we'd all better prepare the bunkers in time for the imminent Labour victory!

By Heartthrob of the mortuary (99% is shit)15/5 14:58Wed May 15 14:58:58 2019In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 538

I think the issue is that a number of these are 'goodies' at the moment

Edited by 99% is shit at 14:59:10 on 15th May 2019

By Jawknee (Barnet Ben)15/5 15:32Wed May 15 15:32:34 2019In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 481

Yes.

Gadaffi
Hussein
Bin Laden
Assad

All originally darlings of the West. We put them there. As well as not invading them we should also not seek to influence who leads them in the first place.

By Greek Card15/5 16:19Wed May 15 16:19:08 2019In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 456

The West didn't put either Gadaffi or Assad in power.

The West is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't.

Support and sell weapons to dictator - ensures stability but means we have blood on our hands.

Withdraw support and the country collapses into bloody civil war - do gooders at home demand we 'do something'

Don't do something - Genocide takes place.

Do do something - You kill a lot of people and get blamed for for it.

By gertcha15/5 14:25Wed May 15 14:25:26 2019In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 570

I totally agree

By Joe Hawkins17/5 18:01Fri May 17 18:01:48 2019In response to Re: The Iraq WarTop of thread

Views: 127

In my opinion the Iiaq mistake was not going in and finshing the job first time round when all the logistics were in place after liberating Kuwait.

The Iranian guy I know says it was a mistake removing Saddam at the same time as trying to impose democracy as the country has only known rule by a 'strongman' along tribal lines, and he did his national service in the Iranian army smoking hash oil on't Afghan border.

Previous thread: Grumpy Cat by Mr Staffordshire 17/5 11:09Fri May 17 11:09:46 2019view thread