ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on www.theconferenceforum.co.uk

The Conference Forum

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Burger King by Joe HawkinsToday 23:52Today at 23:52:46view thread

Oldest article: Management Phrase Of The Day by Pete 7 Oaks30/4 10:22Tue Apr 30 10:22:11 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Charlton Vs Donny by Lord M.Ox17/5 20:52Fri May 17 20:52:48 2019view thread

Best holiday you ever had?

By interserie15/5 18:51Wed May 15 18:51:23 2019

Views: 763

Ignoring the best sex !!! Easier to do are the big 70 approaches.

By train across Canada. Halifax-Montreal; Montreal to Toronto; Toronto to Vancouver. Took us 3 weeks in all.

Had dinner in what had been the undertakers in Halifax NC where all the dead from the Titanic were taken. Top 10 restaurant and said to be the most haunted place in Canada. Overnight trip on the "Ocean" train.

Stayed in Montreal at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel where John Lennon and Yoko held that love-in for peace in 1969.

In Toronto we stayed at the Fairmont - the old Great Union station hotel, just along from the Blue Jays stadium. Then a 3 day trip across the prairies to the West Coast and Vancouver via Jasper.

Bliss.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Best holiday you ever had?

By cufc infinity (cufc_infinity)16/5 21:51Thu May 16 21:51:34 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 140

Holidays for me are always slightly soured by the fact I've had to pay for them so my best 'holidays' were two work trips to the US. One was a week in santa Barbara in February, which involved 3 days work ie stare at PowerPoint until the bars opened. Went from cold dark shite here to Californian palm trees by the pacific, even got the wyfe along for the price of a flight. Then a similar deal up in the Rockies above boulder, arrived to 3 feet of snow that melted in a day and a half and constant sunshine afterwards. Ace squared.

By Taz (SUFC)16/5 13:38Thu May 16 13:38:06 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 275

Mongol Rally in 2009. Drove a shitbox 850cc car from Goodwood circuit to Ulan Bataar over 35 days with 2 mates. Fucking epic. Saw some places you'd never normally go, got in Kazakh press and on telly, had some of the drunkest and funniest nights out along the way and made dozens of friends for life, 3 of whom I was actually out on the beers with last night. It also got me this current job (both getting the interview itself and the 2nd interview where I had to do a presentation).

Route 66 with TCMT a couple of summers back was great too. When we first met, I asked her what her dream trip was and she said 66. Which was also mine. Was brilliant to finally get to do it together.

By Diane Abbott's Afro (The Luton Fan)16/5 05:39Thu May 16 05:39:02 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 381

2017-18 Ashes Tour down under. Only did the first two tests in Brisbane and Adelaide but an awesome trip with great people. And £6k lighter in the process...

Heading to Cape Town for the NY test match.

By Rob (Alice Glass)16/5 00:16Thu May 16 00:16:43 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 406

The two long snowboarding courses I did in 2017 (13 weeks) and then 2018 (7 weeks) in British Columbia. Met some lovely people that I'm still friends with, had an amazing time snowboarding in an amazing resort town. Went to Mexico City for three weeks after the second trip to visit my sister, which was fun.

Apart from that, in 2014 I spent a month in Barbados, then on to Bolivia for another month and then to Buenos Aires for 6 weeks. That was also good.

That train trip is on my list of things to do in Canada actually (from Vancouver). I'll probably do it in April/May next year once the winter's over. It looks awesome.

By AndyC15/5 23:49Wed May 15 23:49:30 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 409

2010, did 6.5 weeks first to South Africa for the world cup, USA in Rustenburg, 5 nights in Kruger (more on that later), flew to cape town for Algeria, shark diving with great whites, drove garden route to Port Elizabeth for Slovenia. Then flew joburg, missus flew to Oz and I did Germany game in bloemfontaine, Brazil v chile in joburg and Japan v Paraguay in Pretoria 3 days in a row with mates. Then flew to Oz.

3.5 weeks there in Sydney, weekend wine tasting round the hunter valley, flew to Fraser island then drove through Queensland to Cairns and the daintree. 3 nights sailing and diving around the whitsundays, dived barrier reef from Cairns, got chased through the rainforest by a cassowary.

Finally did 3 nights in Thailand on the way home (centara in Krabi) for my birthday.

Oh Yeah, Kruger, I proposed to the missus whilst there and we bought the engagement ring in Cape Town (home of diamonds, innit). So all that was basically our 6 week engagement party.

Honeymoon in Sri Lanka was also amazing, saw blue whales.

And the many trips to Ibiza were also epic. 2001 -> 1999 -> 2006 probably my top 3 from about 10 visits.

France in 2016 for the euros with Son is my favourite recent one avec children

By Joe Hawkins16/5 00:44Thu May 16 00:44:30 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 403

An 8 year old me was chased by a baboon in one of the 'settlements' in Kruger.

We didn't get betrothed....

By Amber Aleman (SUFC)16/5 13:51Thu May 16 13:51:09 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 259

Safari for me. Did a tour of Kenya and Tanzania back in 1995 which included the Masai Mara, Serengeti and Rift Valley lakes. Saw just about all the big game in the book, including black and white rhino. And, as an ornitholigist, I really filled my boots.

By Pinner Stones16/5 20:33Thu May 16 20:33:37 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 155

We are doing a Kenyan safari this summer and then a week in Mombasa. Tbh I am only interested in seeing cats, big ones.

By Amber Aleman (SUFC)Yesterday 10:02Yesterday at 10:02:30In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 71

Lions are usually pretty easy to find, cheetahs a bit trickier. With leopards it's often a matter of luck; they're around but not often out in the open.

By Money Shot15/5 23:22Wed May 15 23:22:51 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 426

2016 I toured Europe for 6 months,p visiting 19 different countries

2006 a 4 week round the world trip visiting the US Of A, Fiji, Austria, Japan and home.

Edited by Money Shot at 23:52:49 on 15th May 2019

By Mr Nice (Forever Claret 83)15/5 23:19Wed May 15 23:19:46 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 412

Ibiza 2002 with the LADZ LADZ LADZ.

Mind blowing.

By Puds (Chuds)15/5 22:55Wed May 15 22:55:36 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 425

Couldn't pick one. Between the top five:

South Africa - travelling the garden route, seeing JoBurg, Cape Town, Soweto. Doing a week of safari. Beautiful and amazing.

Canada & US National Parks - walks in the mountains and forests. Seeing Yellowstone and others. Saw beavers felling trees and making dams, black bears with cubs, moose, all totally wild in their natural habitat. Incredible.

Nepal - walking holiday in the foothills of the Himalayas. Tough going but spectacular views and wonderful people.

Australia - all the main sites. Sydney, Uluru, Great Barrier Reef, Blue Mountains etc. Amazing scenery. Fell in love with Cairns.

West coast US tour - with mates after Uni knowing it was the last big one before we started settling down and wouldn't get the chance again. Nine of us. Hired what was basically a coach. San Fran, San Diego, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam, Vegas. Went to MLB and NFL.

By Shy Taz Effer (YCFC)16/5 17:27Thu May 16 17:27:50 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 190

Good call on California.

You've picked up all of the great places. But for me, Phoenix is just a 'city' like, say, Manchester. Nothing much.

In my best hol we did a circular tour; LA > Santa Monica > Palm Springs > Joshua Tree > Canyon > Vegas > Hoover Dam > Death Valley > Yosemite > SF > Santa Cruz > LA. Bloody brilliant. Big cities, national parks, staying in loads of hick town motels and visiting their bars, doing the tourist things, and also out in the wilds.

My mate drove, his missus navigated, we sat in the back and relaxed with a beer.

By Puds (Chuds)16/5 19:41Thu May 16 19:41:40 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 166

We only did Phoenix for one day/night as we diverted there for the NFL (New Orleans @ Arizona). Had a good night in some bars.

By Bray Ford16/5 16:00Thu May 16 16:00:01 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 210

Cairns itself, or stuff near Cairns such as the Daintree?

By Puds (Chuds)16/5 19:45Thu May 16 19:45:33 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 161

The place and nearby surrounds. Everything you could want. Mountain and rainforest, beaches and reef, good bars and restaurants, great vibe. I absolutely fell in love with it.

I have been to a lot of places, that and San Fran are the only places abroad I have ever thought I could happily move straight to to live.

By Mr Staffordshire (Mr Staffordshire)15/5 22:02Wed May 15 22:02:42 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 458

I am very envious of others.

Only been out of Europe once. that was full day!

A week long in Malta for my 21 birthday... cracking little country with deep history. Even bars usually close at 5 in the morning. The weather was very pleasant with 25C average in early November.

Most boring holiday has to be Belgium for weekend break.

By White Socks (SKRAWA!) (White Socks)15/5 21:13Wed May 15 21:13:17 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 503

I haven't done anything exotic as some on here but a month at Italia 90 was great fun...

By Pineapple (Besus Fuffoon)15/5 21:52Wed May 15 21:52:12 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 473

Ooh were you in Bologna for the Belgium game? I was.

By White Socks (SKRAWA!) (White Socks)15/5 21:55Wed May 15 21:55:35 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 464

Nope. Based just north of Naples.

Three group games, England v Cameroon and then Italy v Argentina

By Denzel (denzel ecfc)15/5 20:58Wed May 15 20:58:03 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 508

When in New Zealand a two week tour around the South Island. Dunedin, Queenstown, Fox Glacier, jumping out of a plane and all that. Best thing was it was a holiday for 18-35s and there were plenty of young fit people on the trip if you get my drift.

Would love to turn the clock back

By Bullsgold15/5 21:08Wed May 15 21:08:41 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 491

I went on an 18 to 30s when I was around 16.

I recall they had a free drinks thing for the first evening where one of their hyperactive reps shouted something along the lines of "If you want to see the sights and have a quiet holiday then you might as well leave now!". The music seemed to stop and a bloke we were with said "Well, actually we'd quite like to relax and see the sights. So please leave us alone".

Seemed to work quite well.

By Bullsgold15/5 20:45Wed May 15 20:45:52 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 509

It will be the next one. Undoubted. I'm fucking losing at the moment.

I've enjoyed nice holidays to see family which are obviously excellent but probably not particularly interesting to read.

The European Interrail ones were fun. Flight to Arhus, then Copenhagen, Malmo, a strange 24 hours through Germany, Prague, Vienna, Venice, Florence, Rome, Munich (Oktoberfest), Interlaken, Montreux (weird), and Geneva for a flight home. £200 for a train ticket to do that is quite impressive. .

Also Thessaloniki, Meteora, Delphi, Athens, Santorini, Heraklion, Rethymeno and Chania. Good stuff.

By ncfc (moincfc)15/5 20:30Wed May 15 20:30:20 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 517

Amsterdam with the boys circa 2004. Hilarious from the moment we left Cardiff until the time we got home.

By Lord M.Ox (Marked Ox)15/5 20:27Wed May 15 20:27:13 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 523

2 weeks with a group of mates in Denmark.

By Pinner Stones15/5 20:17Wed May 15 20:17:00 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 552

Probably one of two for me.

For my honeymoon we went around the world, so Singapore, Bali, Hawaii, LA and final stop NYC.

More latterly, we did the PCH down from SF to LA and then across to Grand Canyon and finally Vegas (though not massively enamoured with LV it was an experience).

There was one family trip to Mexico was just bliss and I do enjoy a wander over to India, particularly Mumbai.

By flamma-bull16/5 15:37Thu May 16 15:37:27 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 212

Without a doubt my best holiday was Butlins at Barry Isalnd with my nan and grampy, summer of 1977

I won the junior crazy golf (5 and under category), rode a donkey on the beach and was runner up in the junior Mr knobbly knees contest.

By Taz (SUFC)16/5 13:41Thu May 16 13:41:21 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 260

Vegas is just somewhere you have to see. Ridiculous, but an experience. Just avoid it on a weekend in summer and it's fine. If you don't, it's the worst place on earth.

By stillmanjunior15/5 20:11Wed May 15 20:11:27 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 555

This time four years ago I was about halfway through a month in Australia. Sydney to Cairns in a camper van with many stops en route, flew to Ayers Rock (bit of a let down), back to Sydney then home.

Amazing. I haven’t been on holiday longer than three nights since.

By Greek Card15/5 20:11Wed May 15 20:11:02 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 560

First long trip in Greece - Athens, all the ancient sights of the Peloponnese, Ios, Naxos, Paros, Santorini.

I knew after that one that some day I'd be returning for good.

By DesCartes15/5 22:01Wed May 15 22:01:59 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 474

I did a few back-packing trips catching ferries out of Piraeus with friends, and occasionally sleeping overnight on decks. Mykonos, Ios, Siros, Paros, Santorini, Rhodes and Crete. Good fun but 'best holiday'??

By Greek Card16/5 06:50Thu May 16 06:50:25 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 347

Given the obvious connection I have with Greece then is it so difficult to imagine it being quite a bit more than just 'good fun' for me?

By Bullsgold15/5 22:16Wed May 15 22:16:40 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 453

Sounds alright to me. I thought a good holiday was about having good fun?

By Greek Card16/5 06:49Thu May 16 06:49:07 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 341

I'm willing to bet I got laid a couple of times more than Dessie...

By Shanghai15/5 20:10Wed May 15 20:10:28 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 550

Week in a farmhouse in Tenby, Wales.

By Baldman15/5 20:03Wed May 15 20:03:36 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 575

California... SAN Fran, wine country, Yosemite in an RV, HW1 in a mustang, back to San Fran

US music tour.. Houston, Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans.

Australia for Rugby WC. Japan in 2002.

All great and very much recommended.

By DesCartes15/5 22:11Wed May 15 22:11:18 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 457

I once flew to Vancouver (flight delayed by 27 hours), train up the Fraser River to Calgary, stayed at mate's place for a few days, did 500 miles return car trip into Rockies/British Columbia for beer as there was an Albertan draymen's strike, flew to SF and did sights, Toyota Corolla (!) to Yosemite and back, Greyhound bus up coast to Vancouver for return flight.

By Baldman15/5 22:29Wed May 15 22:29:11 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 432

Blimey, quite a trip! How long were you there? How did you find the greyhound experience?

By ladderman (laddermaniseternal)15/5 19:58Wed May 15 19:58:02 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 573

Maldives. Obviously the first time was a bit spoilt by 250,000 drowning in a tsunami, but I fell in love with the place.
Going back for the fist time in nearly 8 years this summer.

By BudaShot (NottShot)15/5 19:43Wed May 15 19:43:24 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 615

Tough one.

Riding solo, first trip to the Balkans with PCSU and I having our finest ever hour in Ohrid. Wouldn't have got the degree I have, or the masters I will get without that trip... Or follow Zvezda everywhere.

Month travelling the Balkans, with one of Ebbsfleets finest.

World Cup last year and the way there/back...although first trip to Ukraine pushes it close

India for free on the back of an essay, was mental as well.

Edited by NottShot at 19:44:45 on 15th May 2019

By Baldman15/5 19:59Wed May 15 19:59:02 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 573

How do you know PCSU?

By BudaShot (NottShot)15/5 20:07Wed May 15 20:07:01 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 558

We got drunk at a bar in Berlin together.

By Baldman15/5 20:07Wed May 15 20:07:50 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 559

Connected to this place, or just randomly?

By BudaShot (NottShot)15/5 20:09Wed May 15 20:09:51 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 554

Think it was Twitter/European Football Weekends. He'll be able to confirm.

By Stillwell Myth (pcsu)15/5 20:18Wed May 15 20:18:56 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 539

Grindr, IIRC.

By Leeds Sandgrounder15/5 20:21Wed May 15 20:21:35 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 531

I've never understood why it isn't called "Cock Around The Clock".

By Pete 7 Oaks15/5 19:31Wed May 15 19:31:41 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 606

8 weeks in Alberta. Superb , after 1 year of high stress and voluntary redundancy I needed to recharge. Ice Hocky , clubs , Rockies.

By Carshalton womble15/5 18:54Wed May 15 18:54:38 2019In response to Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 642

Apart from the summer of 1992 when I went round the world via India, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Australia, Fiji, San Francisco, Rio, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Kenya my fave individual countries are Australia followed by Canada

By SamBee15/5 19:40Wed May 15 19:40:17 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 600

Been to some incredible places.

But probably a road trip with two of my best friends from Key West (for Christmas day) to new Orleans (for New Year) to Vegas. 4 weeks of non stop driving and adventures. Was trying to make it coast to coast but our car blew up in Alberquerque which delayed us, so never quite made it to the pacific. Highlights is staying in little Arizona redneck towns called Wikieup and the like.

By Nigel L15/5 23:59Wed May 15 23:59:26 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 407

Several long holidays exploring South Africa, the US, etc, but the holiday I enjoyed most was a leisurely jaunt around the Western Highlands. Skye was, and is, magnificent. Must go back soon.

By Denzel (denzel ecfc)16/5 21:19Thu May 16 21:19:12 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 132

That's good to hear, considering going myself up there in September

By Joe Hawkins15/5 22:29Wed May 15 22:29:51 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 447

The best holiday I had was on a project boat I'd done up on my drive, York to just short of Leicester via Lincoln & Boston, traveling the tidal Ouse & Trent which was an experience, 15 nights afloat, over 60 locks, stopped a guy from jumping off the top of Boston stump and got chased off the Grand Union canal for having the wrong licence, nearly got washed off a lock ladder in Kegworth deep when some nugget opened a gate paddle on me.

Stoned again the boat was called, I picked her up in a nightclub as a swap for my dinghy, chopped the rear cabin off, re-engined her and put her through the boat safety test with a gas system fitted and wired throughout, I sold her on for a very tidy profit eventually when the youngest was born and bought Stoned Again Too as the next project.

The next un's going to be called "Still Smoking" after the marine diesel I've stashed away....

By Baldman15/5 22:33Wed May 15 22:33:29 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 431

Huckleberry Finn

Why do boat owners all give them such crap names? My mate’s dad bought a fairly large boat to keep in the local marina. He called it ‘Loose Change.’ The irony being that he’d had to get a bank loan to buy it.

By Joe Hawkins15/5 22:43Wed May 15 22:43:00 2019In response to Re: Best holiday you ever had?Top of thread

Views: 427

Stoned again is a good name, stoned again too was just sticking to a theme, and I used to pi*s the local river cop off with them both, apart from the first ones last season I trailer launched and left her chained up at various parts of the river and just renewed the licence each week but the prat would still leave red stickers on my boat.

And every so often I'd pop by his mooring late on a night and stick the ones he'd left on mine back on his BWB boat.

Previous thread: Definition of Islamophobia by Greek Card16/5 09:41Thu May 16 09:41:52 2019view thread