ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on www.theconferenceforum.co.uk

The Conference Forum

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Lions and Tigers next? by PudsToday 11:58Today at 11:58:18view thread

Oldest article: For when the lockdown cupboard is getting bare.... by a krinkly23/3 11:08Mon Mar 23 11:08:46 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Please pray for all cute cats by Mr Staffordshire 28/3 14:02Sat Mar 28 14:02:39 2020view thread

Favourite ever NLL games

By Tottenham Womble (MordenWomble)26/3 06:41Thu Mar 26 06:41:46 2020

Views: 855

God knows the world is depressing enough as it is, although as an upside finally ended all the Brexit threads on here. Sorry Descartes.

Its hard enough without football, so why don't we take a leaf from some of the league accounts like the Isthmian and post highlights of our favourite games on here.

If we could spread these out so they last the months ahead all the better.

I am starting with the Staines Isthmian play off final. Arguably our most important game in the new guise, apart from Fleetwood to stay in the league. It was all but lost till we turned it around late and helped us get out after 3 years. Worry was we would have stalled without going up then and Terry Brown then took us up to the league.

/youtu.be/AUNbR1IpwNI

reply to this article | return to the front page

The legend that is Neville Southall

By Spiggy27/3 21:22Fri Mar 27 21:22:21 2020In response to Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 205

A lovely end of summer evening 1997. Neville Southall had signed a short term contract for Doncaster Rovers and was playing away at Southport.
Donny soon went into a two goal lead, but then Nev injured his thigh when he collided with the post making a typical brilliant save.
After getting treatment on the pitch, it was clear that he was in pain and his movement was impaired.
Smelling blood, the Port started shooting at every opportunity. Southport pulled a goal back and Nev asked to be taken off.
It was clear to everyone that he couldn't continue, but the Donny manager refused. A second Southport goal followed soon after.
Nev appealed to the bench. Again the bench refused. At this point the legendary goalkeeper started walking slowly towards the bench.
His left glove came off and was thrown away.
His right glove came off and was thrown away.
His jumper came off and was thrown away.
While this was all happening the Southport and large contingent of Donny fans where giving him a standing ovation with his name ringing out in the warm evening breeze.

Re: Favourite ever NLL games

By Wearside Jack Off27/3 12:35Fri Mar 27 12:35:47 2020In response to Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 345

Woking 3 Macclesfield 2 towards the end of the 95/96 season.

An absolute belter of a football match that pretty much had the lot.

By DesCartes27/3 12:46Fri Mar 27 12:46:54 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 347

This.

4,500+ crowd on Easter Saturday, Stunning goal from Junior Hunter, who was then sent off for a second offence, and Macc leading 2-1 at half time. Career-threatening injury to Stuart Girdler. Chapple threw on loanee Darren Adams, who obliged with a brace of goals.

But Woking's push for the title was thwarted 2 days later as they went down to the Scum 4-0. And let's not talk about Victor Green, Torquay United, Barry Hayles, £30k, etc....

By Slim Jim29/3 09:06Sun Mar 29 09:06:08 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 134

My late mother's only ever game. She described it as quite exciting.

I couldn't invite her to another game as she'd be so disappointed when we limped to a 2-1 victory that sent everyone else home happy.

By e9terra27/3 13:14Fri Mar 27 13:14:19 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 321

Weymouth 3 St Albans City 2. Conference South. 17th April, 2006. Attendance 5022

Effectively the championship decider, it had everything, a couple of great goals, (one for either side), a penalty and a sending-off (one of ours, and deservedly so). A great game of football, with both sides giving it everything. In truth, St Albans deserved a draw, but they finished second, won the play-offs, and were promoted along with us.

By Nonsense Potter (D Piddy)27/3 13:31Fri Mar 27 13:31:44 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 308

Was Garry Hill your manager then? Was it also the run where Raph Nade became a goal machine?

By e9terra27/3 15:16Fri Mar 27 15:16:05 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 278

Yes and yes. I know Garry was (is?) a money manager, but he was given money by our then owner to get us promoted, and that's exactly what he did. Plenty of managers with big budgets can't. Rafael Nade arrived in February 2006 and scored 12 goals in 13 games, one of them being a superb individual goal against St Albans. Unfortunately, he couldn't reproduce that form in the Conference the following season.

By gertcha27/3 20:55Fri Mar 27 20:55:48 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 187

That was a great game despite being on the losing side

I remember Nade very well as I set up an account on the weymouth messageboard as him and they all fell for it

By Nonsense Potter (D Piddy)27/3 20:37Fri Mar 27 20:37:19 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 207

Raph was such a quality lad. Came to a Woking team lacking pace and made Warren Patmore look worth £40K by doing all of his running for him. He gradually made his way out wide where he just ran at and bullied fullbacks, rarely knowing what he was doing, but provided us with such a good outlet. Moved to Carlisle for money from us and whilst I can understand why he didn’t make it, deserved the money.

He offered to play for my 5 a side team after we picked up a couple of injuries too.

By grerman27/3 04:01Fri Mar 27 04:01:00 2020In response to Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 374

Despite all the progress since the one that sticks in my mind is Carshalton 1 Bromley 4, March 2003 I think.

They were pissing Ryman South by miles under charming Graham Roberts, we were non-descript mid-table shite. Went there expecting a full bumming, but no-one cared as it was pretty much the first warm day of the year, cracking turnout, beers flowing.

Expected a full double bumming when Wade Falana got his customary red after 25 mins, but then Stefan Ball headed us 1-0 up a few minutes later. After that came probably the best Bromley team performance I've seen as we absolutely smashed them. New signing from Millwall Leke Odunsi was immense. IIRC Kirk Watts or Colin Luckett finished it with a chip that bordered on piss-taking.

Celebrations after the first goal were immense: I still have the picture of the CONTORTED FACES on my office wall.

By tigerroar26/3 14:40Thu Mar 26 14:40:58 2020In response to Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 481

Not many stick in the mind but our FA Trophy win at Woking in 2003 does.

Chris Burns' ex-youth team with 40+ Adie Harris on the wing and Jimmy Cox up front. Totally destroyed them on their own pitch.

Burnsy doesn't like me. I saw him in Home Bargains the other week. He blanked me ;)

By carrotcruncher(hfc)27/3 12:45Fri Mar 27 12:45:50 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 311

I was at school with Adie Harris. He lived across the road from me. Used to play football together as kids. He was good at all sports of course.

By tigerroar27/3 13:16Fri Mar 27 13:16:21 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 301

Nice bloke, not sure what he's up to now. He played a lot for Trowbridge. That was always a shit drive from Gloucester so imagine adding the Hereford leg onto it too.

By carrotcruncher(hfc)27/3 13:39Fri Mar 27 13:39:07 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 297

He was decent.

Despite being far better at sport than most he never acted the big I am.

Unlike many good footballers he would actually pass to you if you got in a good position despite knowing you would f it up (which would have been mostly what would have happened in my case).

Leominster btw not Hereford. Same as Jarrod Bowen.

By tigerroar27/3 15:29Fri Mar 27 15:29:58 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 256

Ahh, I always thought he was from Hereford. That makes it ever further!

By stillmanjunior26/3 12:11Thu Mar 26 12:11:23 2020In response to Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 531

As a neutral the best I've seen so far was Didcot Town 4-2 Brentwood Town, FAC4Q in 2015. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK4qozsUxFQ
I don't think Didcot had ever reached R1 before and Brentwood hadn't for years. City were already out and didn't have a game so I got a cheap train along. Weather was foul, chucked it down all game.

Brentwood were 2-0 up early on, Craig Reid opening the scoring with a stunning lob, before Didcot pulled one back just before HT. Think it remained that way until HT. Second half was both teams properly going for it before Didcot eventually prevailed 4-2. Brentwood had a player sent off, someone saw red mist but within seconds he was basically apologising to the opponent before he disappeared down the tunnel to applause.

Didcot lost to Exeter in the next round in front of the TV cameras.

For City it's tough as there are so many. Our win over Torquay last season was great. 2-1 down, they ballooned a penalty over and we snatched two late on to win in front of 3,000+. We had an FA Trophy replay win at Margate on penalties two seasons ago which went on until 11pm. Jack Compton scored two stunners in a game packed of chances.

Also a collection of late drama. 2-0 down v Darlington heading into the 93rd minute only to draw 2-2. 2-1 win over WSM when we fell behind on 91 minutes, levelled with a penalty a minute later and then the Tyler Harvey winner from the halfway line which went viral. But I can't class it as a favourite game as the preceding 90 minutes was drab.

I'll probably go for Torquay top but second will be a 3-3 at Dover in the Southern League in Feb 2004. We were bottom and couldn't score a goal to save our lives, they were pushing in the right end of the table. We were 3-0 down in the first half hour or so, they had a penalty saved which was retaken and put wide. Second half we scored twice within the first 10 minutes but didn't create much after, until with 10 mins or so left our player boss Gary Owers thundered one in from 30 yards. Drew 3-3, we somehow finished above Dover that season but went down on the relegation play-offs for new divisions.

Right, that's 15 minutes of the day done...

By Carshalton womble26/3 12:18Thu Mar 26 12:18:44 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 512

That reminds me of a game at Crewe a few years back, they were absolutely mullering us, we were 3-1 down and they missed a penalty, somehow managed to get it back to 3-2 with 10 mins left and they bottled it and we grabbed an injury time equaliser to make it 3-3 with Red Kite missing the goal as he had somehow chosen that time to go for a piss, they must have been gutted

By stillmanjunior26/3 12:23Thu Mar 26 12:23:32 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 513

We had the opposite at Wealdstone last season when we were 2-0 up at half-time, still 2-0 with 20 minutes or so left and we looked in no danger of throwing it away. I came back on for that period to commentate.

Complete and utter bedlam ensued in the last 15. They scored two quick goals (own goal and a very debatable penalty), we went 3-2 up within a minute as Ross Stearn completed his hat-trick yet they still found time to scramble another swiftly after. Drew 3-3, if I was doing an on the whistle report I would have been in bits. Highlights are on YouTube, I nearly fell out with my summariser as he kept talking over me!

By DarrenG WFC26/3 13:31Thu Mar 26 13:31:06 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 475

As you've mentioned Wealdstone, our play off semi with them was great.

By Lord M Ox (Marked Ox)26/3 11:52Thu Mar 26 11:52:13 2020In response to Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 579

Beating R&D 2-0 in the home leg of the play offs. SCENES.

https://youtu.be/kAVfoCUrhqE

Then of course this but my main feeling after the initial reaction of joy was relief when Alfie Potter scored:

https://youtu.be/j0xv7uNvXVI

The other games from that season that sticks in the memory is the home game York City for the joy at the injury time winner by Mark Creighton and Luton at home.

York: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L8yP0qtqrc

Luton (The 1st clip is just superb and fair play to the Luton fan who put it on Youtube):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bWnoQ8t3zg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1-Wux1Bw_g

I've blanked out most games from the Conference (can't think why?!) especially our 2nd/3rd seasons. I do remember the D&R away game with that awful, cringeworthy chant from our 1st season; Aaron McLean being utterly fantastic at ours for Grays and getting a standing ovation from us when going off; and Rob Duffy costing us the play off win vs Exeter in our 1st season when missing a chance clean through in the closing minutes.

Edited by Marked Ox at 12:02:06 on 26th March 2020
Edited by Marked Ox at 12:05:39 on 26th March 2020
Edited by Marked Ox at 12:25:18 on 26th March 2020

By Rob (Rob (Van))27/3 15:47Fri Mar 27 15:47:08 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 252

The home leg of that play-off ranks as one of my most memorable goals. I went absolutely mental when Byrne equalised.

By Lord M Ox (Marked Ox)27/3 16:32Fri Mar 27 16:32:04 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 232

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dzo6EiQU6o

A bit of a foul by Lee Tomlin (I think) in the build up mind. :)

I was strangely confident of making the final after that game.

By upthemanor26/3 17:23Thu Mar 26 17:23:08 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 434

That Aaron McLean ovation was both surreal and emotional at the same time. Never seen nor heard of anything like it before or since. I hadn’t heard of him before that game but I stood for him. Bizarre really.

By Lord M Ox (Marked Ox)27/3 09:11Fri Mar 27 09:11:19 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 328

The only other time I can think of an opponent getting a standing ovation from us (excluding a few ex-players) was Gianfranco Zola after being subbed when he tore us apart in the replay at Stamford Bridge (after that awful penalty decision at the Manor got Chelsea a late draw).

By upthemanor27/3 13:28Fri Mar 27 13:28:02 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 302

Did we? I was there but I don’t remember that bit, can’t imagine being even slightly impressed by anything Chelsea did then or ever!

By Lord M Ox (Marked Ox)27/3 13:55Fri Mar 27 13:55:23 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 279

Yes, clearly only the vast majority though. :)

By Dave (Barra) (David (Barrovia))26/3 12:46Thu Mar 26 12:46:39 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 507

This was a belter iirc

https://youtu.be/DDe3sRq22uQ

By Lord M Ox (Marked Ox)26/3 12:57Thu Mar 26 12:57:54 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 493

Thanks for reminding me of that. :(

The old man took great delight in the game but we were truly a bobbins side that season, and the next, until Chris Wilder started managing us. James Clarke, who got sent off for that awful challenge, is now playing for Walsall and his tackling hasn't improved. To make it worse I paid to watch that via Patientline in the Hospital.

Edited by Marked Ox at 13:04:36 on 26th March 2020

By upthemanor26/3 19:12Thu Mar 26 19:12:08 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 401

Ha ha! That's really funny ...... now!

By Paulio26/3 11:33Thu Mar 26 11:33:23 2020In response to Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 544

Stevenage 2-2 Oxford.

Luke Oliver sent off for a neck high tackle on Yemi, and Hasim Deen sent off for running halfway across the pitch to punch an oxford player. Good times.

By Money Shot26/3 10:28Thu Mar 26 10:28:37 2020In response to Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 579

March 2008 our away game against our title rivals Torquay United in our promotion year.

Scott Davies extra time winning goal sent us mental behind the goal. What a night that was and even though we hadn't mathematically won promotion, we knew it was our year.

Scott Davies goal

/youtu.be/itSJAi13Be8

By Meadow26/3 10:22Thu Mar 26 10:22:04 2020In response to Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 576

2008/9
AFC Wimbledon 3 Chelmsford City 1.

Cracking atmosphere with hundreds locked out. It was at that point that I thought we had a chance of winning the Connie Sarf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh5uZYmQDUs

By Tottenham Womble (MordenWomble)26/3 11:30Thu Mar 26 11:30:50 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 537

I was one of the ones locked out!

By Carshalton womble26/3 12:09Thu Mar 26 12:09:00 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 507

Get there earlier next time!!

By Heartthrob of the mortuary (99% is shit)26/3 09:41Thu Mar 26 09:41:54 2020In response to Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 602

Farnborough 2 - 0 Stevenage

The Boxing Day massacre Dec 2003

By Nigel L26/3 11:28Thu Mar 26 11:28:54 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 549

Farnborough 2 - 0 Stevenage

The Boxing Day massacre Dec 2003

Hodgy's goal. A peach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rTbWOlgI00

By Heartthrob of the mortuary (99% is shit)26/3 12:10Thu Mar 26 12:10:34 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 505

Marvellous

By Nigel L26/3 11:50Thu Mar 26 11:50:39 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 526

Farnborough 7 Chelmsford 6, from 1994.

The only time Trevor Senior played centre-half for Farnborough, as we had no fit centre backs. Tony Rogers filled his boots!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnMt1jsDkSQ

By DonnyNoel26/3 09:41Thu Mar 26 09:41:47 2020In response to Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 597

Rovers 5-4 Dover. Must have been 1999? I haven't researched this so my memory could be playing tricks on me but as I recall Joff Vansittart scored a first half hat trick to put them 3-0 at half time. We fought back to 3-3 in the second half only for Dover to go 4-3 up on about 80 minutes. Somehow we won 5-4 in injury time with future manager Dave Penney playing a key role in the fight back.

Honourable mentions to the victory at home to Farnborough to win the Conference Trophy in front of 7k in 1999 and the penalty win at Chester in the play off semi in 2003 - it was golden goal extra time and I think I held my breath for the entire duration of it!

By doveranddover26/3 19:02Thu Mar 26 19:02:39 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 411

19/12/98
http://stats.football.co.uk/head_to_head/doncaster_rovers/vs/dover_athletic/index.shtml

you played your 1st ever conference game at Crabble there was a pitch invasion & i think 1 of our players was attacked
were you there? was it you?

By Jennifer Taylor-Clark (Bray Ford)26/3 09:39Thu Mar 26 09:39:37 2020In response to Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 600

https://youtu.be/gpNwZAB_iEM

This was good.

By Dave (Barra) (David (Barrovia))26/3 09:07Thu Mar 26 09:07:06 2020In response to Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 621

Key point.... post a link to the highlights if you can/they exist.

By Canary Saint26/3 08:57Thu Mar 26 08:57:09 2020In response to Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 632

Kidderminster 1 St Albans City 3

After years in the football wilderness our first game in the Conference. We were going to p1ss this league. However it did not quite work out that way.

By Mr Staffordshire (Mr Staffordshire)26/3 08:17Thu Mar 26 08:17:42 2020In response to Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 665

Sad I know but my favourite game is Tamworth 3 Ebbsfleet 4 in 2010.

Despite their win, Ebbsfleet were relegated.. but boy, what a cracking game under very warm sunshine and huge crowd as it was pay as you want.

Tamworth 3 Aldershot 3 was another game sticks in my mind.. we scored 2 goals in under one min, we were still celebrating the first goal and wasn’t aware we scored the second goal! At the very end, wayward shot broke my glasses and moment later Aldershot scored very very late equaliser.

Worst game.. Tamworth 1 Burscough 2 FA Trophy Final in 2003. Less the said the better.

By Barda EUFC26/3 09:12Thu Mar 26 09:12:42 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 615

It was a good game. Bloody depressing trip back though.

Eastleigh got very lucky on that day as I recall.

Was this the season that Chester got kicked out?

Fleet 5-4 Kidderminster
Fleet 6-0 Morecambe
FGR 1-4 Fleet

Those three were the first ones which sprang to mind.

By Mr Staffordshire (Mr Staffordshire)26/3 09:33Thu Mar 26 09:33:48 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 604

Chester, I believe so.

On that Tamworth v Ebbsfleet game, it was my sister’s only time at The Lamb Ground.

By Mr Nice (Forever Claret 83)26/3 08:01Thu Mar 26 08:01:08 2020In response to Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 694

2007/2008
Saturday March 15th
Chelmsford City 3 v 2 AFC Wimbeldon

The game that pretty much handed us the Ryman Premier as it put us 9 points ahead if I recall correctly.

It was a cracking game with both teams leading at one point before Bertie Brayley scored one of my favourite goals late on to win it.

By Tottenham Womble (MordenWomble)26/3 11:32Thu Mar 26 11:32:55 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 538

Mods. Ban this filth.

By Mr Nice (Forever Claret 83)26/3 14:04Thu Mar 26 14:04:58 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 462

;-)

You got your revenge 10 months later.

By Meadow26/3 11:36Thu Mar 26 11:36:52 2020In response to Re: Favourite ever NLL gamesTop of thread

Views: 528

We got them eventually.

Previous thread: Commuting WFH stylee by Ian Chesterton29/3 08:59Sun Mar 29 08:59:43 2020view thread