ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on www.theconferenceforum.co.uk

The Conference Forum

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Government consultants by Dave (Barra)Today 13:09Today at 13:09:11view thread

Oldest article: Circuit break by Hughesy7/10 18:37Wed Oct 7 18:37:46 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: AFC Fylbe by Emotional Support Meat Slicer19/10 12:01Mon Oct 19 12:01:11 2020view thread

Covid champions

By Karlready17/10 12:20Sat Oct 17 12:20:04 2020

Views: 754

Just thought I’d use a FOOTBALL forum to ask a football question. Assuming it was discussed at Conf. AGM ,(yeah, right), in the possible event that the season is foreshortened, how many games played would constitute a season? This must surely have been on the agenda. But then again....

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Covid champions

By Mr Staffordshire17/10 13:20Sat Oct 17 13:20:04 2020In response to Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 557

Who is your team?

By Gary Bauress (SFC)17/10 12:48Sat Oct 17 12:48:55 2020In response to Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 622

My assumption would be you'd need at least half a season with teams playing each other once in order for the season to take place officially.

By ILC17/10 20:31Sat Oct 17 20:31:05 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 405

That was my planning for the future idea.........

By Duncan Biscuit17/10 12:55Sat Oct 17 12:55:17 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 579

Problem being that sometimes you don't get to play a side at all until suddenly you play them twice in April. A few years ago when Weymouth imploded midseason, some sides (us, for example) had played them twice when they were quite good and others (York) played them twice when they were struggling to put the Under 7s out and duly collected an easy 6 points and a boost to the goal difference into the bargain.

This season, for example, we'll have donated our rivals over the border their usual 6 points towards survival by teatime on New Years Day.

By Ste B17/10 13:16Sat Oct 17 13:16:50 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 530

But there's always some dickhead that pipes up about the irrelevance of fixtures because "you still have to play everyone twice".

In a more predictable example, you should always want to play Chester after Christmas when Gary Roberts' legs have gone.

By Leeds Sandgrounder17/10 14:17Sat Oct 17 14:17:34 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 464

Neil Prince was only of any use in August.

By Danny's Shovel17/10 13:03Sat Oct 17 13:03:45 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 559

Serious question.... How do we beat you pretty much every time we play you, is it something like we've won 12 of the last 14... Last August for example you won 7 of your 1st 8 games, only losing at Kingfield to us... And that was our only win in August! How the fuck are you so shit against us?... but you're pretty decent on the whole. Is it players attitudes, i genuinely don't know.

By CardinalCannon17/10 13:16Sat Oct 17 13:16:45 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 521

It's a witch's curse.

The game last season we should have been out of sight by half time from memory. I know we went into the break behind but we'd had so many chances that the atmosphere at HT was very much that we just needed to keep at it and all would be OK.
Unfortunately the break seemed to kill us and we were a different side in the second half; and not in a good way.

At least when you ruin Christmas for us this year we won't have had to watch it in person

By DarrenG WFC17/10 13:14Sat Oct 17 13:14:13 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 532

It's your cup final.

By Danny's Shovel17/10 13:23Sat Oct 17 13:23:52 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 522

I'd say it's the opposite, most Aldershot fans don't mind Woking and like to see them do well, i've no problem with them... they are like a little brother..... On your forum the vitrol and hatred that oozes out of your fans to us is vast, you've only got got to read the FA Cup thread on there for next week.... Maybe you try too hard, either that or the only other thing i can think of, is your players know you will lose even if you play well..... And are just waiting till we score our usual late winner.

By PCSU writes: (pcsu)18/10 05:26Sun Oct 18 05:26:42 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 344

Yeah, I know quite a few Aldershot fans and none of them consider Woking rivals. In fact I know a few who used to go and watch Woking while Shots were away while they had long-distance away games in the FL. Aldershot's rivals will always be Reading, an inter-generational rivalry that is mutually bitter on both sides.
Woking's traditional rivals are Chertsey Town

By Kanu's Nan (KN Version 2)18/10 08:54Sun Oct 18 08:54:48 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 284

It’s an under-30 thing I think, based on not having seen those proper rival games after they went bust. Their forum mostly suggests otherwise unless all their fans are under 30.

Aldershot wind me up because they always beat us, regularly damaging the ground in doing so. Not for rivalry reasons. They’re no chertsey that’s for sure.

By PCSU writes: (pcsu)18/10 14:44Sun Oct 18 14:44:09 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 272

Shit trolling aside, it's definitely a younger generation thing. Belgrade Shot's burberry-clad, DMA's-loving, mates get proper riled up for the 'derby day', but his father's generation couldn't give a toss, or at least they say so.

It's the same with Dover. We used to have strong bilateral relations with Maidstone but the new era of chavs have tried manufacturing a rivalry out of them. Mind you, they've mustered up 1,300 fans out of nowhere containing a sizeable breed of knobheads - so it's not a one way street.

By umadbro719/10 11:10Mon Oct 19 11:10:54 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 129

Well come on, most of our new chavs are 12 years -15 years old getting high on sherbet pre match who will give Dover a good rollicking across the 'bedsheet' segregation.

By Mr Nice (Forever Claret 83)18/10 15:05Sun Oct 18 15:05:43 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 244

Same with us.

I'll always get more revved up for a game against Dartford, Dover or Ebbsfleet than the "modern" rivalry with Concord, Braintree or Billericay that our younger lot seem to want to build.

I guess rivarlies are entrenched early in a person's psyche and the biggest rivalry to an individual will be the one that was present at the time they got into watching a team. When I first started watching regulally and going to away games, our most notorious clashes were vs Crawley of all teams.

By Shanghai19/10 11:52Mon Oct 19 11:52:59 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 107

Us younger fleet fans tried to manufacture a rivalry with your mob mainly for bantz purposes, as we found it funny to try and be on a level playing field with you when we'd take 5 away to Chelmo and we'd be outnumbered by about 400 to one. The older Thurrock (and all chelmo fans of course) lot never bought into it though, our older lot always had HATE for Grays, whereas we'd never experienced that match so it didn't resonate with us.

From a personal POV i fucking hated Harlow. Their fans are the biggest bellends I ever came across.

By Mr Nice (Forever Claret 83)19/10 12:24Mon Oct 19 12:24:12 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 94

Your club was too nice for us to have any beef with....unlike those utter bellends at Braintree and especially Concord.

Those two loved to build up the small club, siege mentality and it makes them very cold, unwelcoming and prone to twattish behaviour. Thurrock were a lovely, fluffy, bundle of joy whenever we faced you. Nice people. Shame the club died.

By Kanu's Nan (KN Version 2)18/10 15:22Sun Oct 18 15:22:31 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 245

Yep. I remember the first time we played them in 1998 in the Cup. Never ever played them before as the new club, had done our thing to try and help in 1992 - somehow greeted by “We hate Woking” chants and I just thought why exactly?!

By Mr Nice (Forever Claret 83)19/10 10:11Mon Oct 19 10:11:25 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 171

In the mid 90's, we were both struggling towards the bottom of the Beazer Premier so there was a sporting rivalry. But also I think we had similar supporters at the time that were a bit rough round the edges. At their old ground there were a few flash points.

They ruined the short lived mini rivarly by a) turning good and b) when we were homeless, we were ejected one year from the League Cup for fielding an ineligible player. The utter bastards only went and organised a bucket collection for us at one of their home games.

By Duncan Biscuit17/10 13:37Sat Oct 17 13:37:51 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 490

For several decades there was no rivalry whatever as your former club was in the League and kept up by an inexplicable blockage in the U-bend. I suspect you only escaped the flush as "The Wreck", home of Aldershot FC was the answer to a football trivia question and it would have been a faff to try and work out who had the next biggest playing surface.

Our real rivals, of course, are Leatherhead (spits) and the DCBs (spits).

By Danny's Shovel17/10 13:43Sat Oct 17 13:43:34 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 485

There is the pitch trivia yes.

The better one though, is we were the 1st ever winners of the Football League Playoffs 1987, we beat Bolton in the semi final and beat Wolves 3-0 on aggregate in the final. Getting promoted to now division 1.

I didn't start going until 1988, so missed all that!

By Dave (Barra) (David (Barrovia))17/10 13:47Sat Oct 17 13:47:29 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 476

Different club m8.

By Danny's Shovel17/10 13:49Sat Oct 17 13:49:10 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 476

Techically yes, same fans, same ground & same people behind the scene though.

By Meerkat17/10 16:13Sat Oct 17 16:13:46 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 442

Different creditors...

By Buckfast Rogers17/10 16:25Sat Oct 17 16:25:53 2020In response to Re: Covid championsTop of thread

Views: 431

Aldershots main rivals are HMRC

Previous thread: Saturday match thread by BelgradeShot17/10 12:20Sat Oct 17 12:20:33 2020view thread